Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: My Point About Quadrillions of Stars

"Although I haven't read "A Brief History of Time" I often ponder if the universe is nothing more than the machine that gives Earth it's distinct power."

But an omnipotent God would have no need to do that.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:54 PM

"For instance, all the planets stars etc. coexist just to keep life on Earth possible."

But that cannot be. How dare you have opinions about this stuff without knowing basic physics?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Although I haven't read "A Brief History of Time" I often ponder if the universe is nothing more than the machine that gives Earth it's distinct power."

But an omnipotent God would have no need to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

An omnipotent God would have no need to do anything.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:00 PM

i dont know how you dare to question god..
Old 08-24-2005, 09:07 PM

um since you obviously havent been around for long i suggest you not say things such as that on this forum( learned that for myself a few days ago)
all it will do is get you kicked around
Old 08-24-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But that cannot be. How dare you have opinions about this stuff without knowing basic physics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to elaborate? While I'm not saying that I agree, I think that there are a few physicists who might make anthropic principle arguments that say pretty much "Yep, the universe is the way it is because otherwise we wouldn't be here." I can also imagine that, say, the formation of the solar system might have proceeded very differently had there not been considerable matter elsewhere in the universe to perturb it, though I don't know how likely that is.

EDIT: to clarify, looking back at the statement you were replying to, it is silly to say that we need stars 1000 light years away to sustain life right now. I'm talking about the possibility that humans would not have existed in the first place had they not been there, which is obviously pretty different.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:45 PM

I think you've shifted on this a bit, but in any case at least you've clarified that you don't now have the position I thought you did. Bravo.

As to aliens, etc., I take no position. There may be no other life forms or millions. However many there are, God is a just and loving God to all.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"For instance, all the planets stars etc. coexist just to keep life on Earth possible."

[/ QUOTE ]

But what about the butterfly theory? What does physics have to say about that? Has it been disproven and if not, why couldn't something that happens 4 million light years away have an effect on the planet earth?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I have an opinion per se, but please enlighten me as to why my question above is incorrect.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I have an opinion per se, but please enlighten me as to why my question above is incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Things exist in the universe that are farther away from earth than the speed of light could have travelled in the age of the universe. Nothing travels faster than light including information for obvious reasons. The rest should be clear.