Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Tight Play

we had this argument in the micro forum. 45% vpip is too high. I think you can win with a 30% vpip or maybe even a little higher.
You have 6K hands, that is not enough to bother looking at. I would like to see your winrate after 50K hands and playing 45% vpip.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:20 PM

I don't want to commit poker seppuku to prove a point. If I will do better to play more selectively, I will give it a go.

But I do admit, this sounds like an interesting challenge. Anyone out there with 50k hands and VPIP > 40%??
Old 12-08-2005, 05:21 PM

In addition, filter your stats for 5-6 handed. It should drop your numbers some (although I doubt much, in your case).
Old 12-08-2005, 05:35 PM

5-6 players BB/hand +0.05
4-5 players BB/hand +0.05
3-4 players BB/hand +0.04
2-3 players BB/hand -0.03

Looks like I need to work on my play for 4 or less players.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5-6 players BB/hand +0.05
4-5 players BB/hand +0.05
3-4 players BB/hand +0.04
2-3 players BB/hand -0.03

Looks like I need to work on my play for 4 or less players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although your comment is true, it has nothing to do with the stats you listed.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:39 PM

Win rate is not the stat he was looking for. If your 6k hands are meaningless for win rate at all player #'s, a smaller sample with a particular number of players is even more meaningless.

Personally, I'm curious what your VPIP and PFR are by position.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, my full-table stats are pretty similar and I have another 4,000 hands from that (see above). Nevertheless, I might experiment with tighter play to see what happens.

I've tried before but just found it frustrating to wait for good starting hands only to have them go down in flames. Maybe multi-tabling would be the solution to address having to wait so long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted, .5/1 has a lot of really bad players, your VPIP is way too high for both short and full ring. I have plenty of players in my DB with 45/20 stats over 2K hands making 5BB/100, but they're bad. I can't see you maintaining that over the next 50K hands and coming out in the green.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:47 PM

I infer from the lack of experienced players jumping in to defend LAG play that, indeed, I had better make some changes.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:47 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. LAG play has a much higher chance of running hot for an extended period (compared to TAP and TPP play) because the variance is so much higher.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I infer from the lack of experienced players jumping in to defend LAG play that, indeed, I had better make some changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider myself to be somewhat LAG, and I play 27/20. I am very confident that with a 45 VPIP that you will not be able to win long term, however, on a hot streak, you will win more than people with much lower numbers. At .5/1, with excellent postflop play, you could probably still be profitable in the 30-35 VPIP range, but I don't believe this is optimal.

You say you get bored waiting for good starting hands, and watching them go down in flames. Well one of the toughest parts about being a good poker player is being disciplined. Don't throw in all these extra hands because you are bored - they will just lose you money in the long run. Perhaps playing two tables would work better for you as you will get a lot more action.

Good luck in the future, and keep reading here, as it will surely show you things about this game you could not imagine right now.