Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 10:54 PM

Default Re: popularity of our livelyhood?

-EV poker-players will always be there.
just like there are plenty of people to play other -EV games like roulette, craps, slots, etc.

They lose their money...but that doesn't mean they all die out and the games completely dry-up. These games simply bring in more players, and their players who have lost in the past come back to lose more.

Also - there was some article in the NVG forum where it was estimated that money in online-poker will only become a bigger and bigger percentage of all online-gambling and could eventually overtake online-sportsbetting.

It's also estimated that there will be more and more money in online-gambling.

These are estimates of course. The games will get tougher at some point of course..but that doesn't mean it will simply die out. The game will always be beatable.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:08 PM

if youre a poker pro who sucks and cant get better then youre in trouble. if youre good then youll be ok.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:37 PM

[quote

I don't think I'm qualified to talk about the future of the professional poker world as a whole but most of your fish aren't gambling addicts. They're recreational players who enjoy the game and don't mind losing the money.

Treat them with the respect they deserve and I'm sure most of them will keep playing for years.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree,
i like how people call people fish, but make no mention of the things called FEEDER fish, whos soul purpose is to feed the biiger badder fish, which i assume we play when we first try to move up

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard that gambking addicts and sex addicts have the highest suicide rates, are we going to lose the meal ticket from attrition alone?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no empirical data to support this. So worry about the supply of fish if you must, but not because they are all killing themselves.

--Zetack
Old 11-30-2005, 05:50 PM

What was it like 10 years ago? If it fell back to that level what would happen? That's the question I think. Certainly there were pros and fish then too.

I have a feeling the games then weren't nearly as tough. So add super tough games now to an increasing pro/fish ratio if the boom goes bust. Could get a little ugly. But as long as you can still beat most of the fishy pros who really wouldn't be pro except for the boom, you should be alright.

It may come out a lot like the programmer shakeout in 2000 after the dotcom bust (my day job). For the most part, the programmers who were good and in it because they love it made out fine. The ones w/o much talent who didn't belong there in the first place got filtered out with the wash.

That's my baseless speculation anyway.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:59 PM

if the world runs out of sex-addicts will we cease to exist as a species?