Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Women\'s Golf

The decline of mens tennis has very little to do with personality.

Modern mens tennis is two big guys hitting 130 mph serves and standing at the baseline bashing the hell out of the ball until one guy mishits and catches the net or goes out.

Women's tennis still has the finesse and exciting rallies that makes tennis a fun game to watch.

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone see the LPGA overtaking the PGA in popularity in the next few years as these young phenoms mature?

[/ QUOTE ]

The decline of mens tennis is mainly because of advances in fitness and equipment. The same thing is happening in golf, but it's a long way from destroying the game as much as tennis.

If golf equipment does change the game enough to make it boring, it will do the same thing to both men and women.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They need a commissioner or somebody who knows how to market the tour. These women are athletes and, since there now appear to be a group of younger women golfers who are attractive, if they used some sex appeal, the tour could be very popular.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is Ty Votaw's last year, so it should be interesting to see how the new commissioner (female) handles the marketing.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Modern mens tennis is two big guys hitting 130 mph serves and standing at the baseline bashing the hell out of the ball until one guy mishits and catches the net or goes out.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you look at typical winners vs unforced errors stats for mens' and womens' matches, it would tell a very different story than the one you present.

Also, it would only seem that the game is more boring because the only player you will ever see on TV within the United States is Andy Roddick. God forbid they ever show any number of extremely entertaining mens' matches that are between two foreign players. This is one of the main reasons why the US Open is my favorite sporting event to attend live yet I will barely ever watch tennis on TV.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you look at typical winners vs unforced errors stats for mens' and womens' matches, it would tell a very different story than the one you present.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I'm not talking about stats, I'm talking about the style of play.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, it would only seem that the game is more boring because the only player you will ever see on TV within the United States is Andy Roddick.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must not be from the U.S. I've seen every top player from every country. Of course every country's broadcasts will be somewhat biased towards their players.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, as I'm watching the US Open, interested in the LPGA for the first time I ever remember, I'm wondering if women's golf is going to be like women's tennis?

With Tiger playing more uninspired golf, the men's tour is stuck with two very uncharismatic superstars in Mickelson and Singh. No other player has any real drawing power and Mickelson and Singh are boring as hell. If Tiger doesn't pick it up then I can see the popularity of the men's tour falling off dramatically. Very remeniscent of men's tennis in the 90s.

The women's tour, however, has many intriguing story lines. First, you have Sorenstam, who's just a monster, dominating the tour. She is uncharismatic, but I think she is dominant enough to draw a crowd. Then you have a few teenagers, who are all very young and at least somewhat attractive, destroying the stereotype of the LPGA just being full of a bunch of lesbians.

Can anyone see the LPGA overtaking the PGA in popularity in the next few years as these young phenoms mature?

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly gaining, but not coming anywhere near the PGA. The skill level is just too far below.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With Tiger playing more uninspired golf, the men's tour is stuck with two very uncharismatic superstars in Mickelson and Singh. No other player has any real drawing power and Mickelson and Singh are boring as hell

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, well I'm a big Mickelson mark, so I would have to say this isn't too right. Is it just because they don't do fist-pumping routines and yell at their errant tee shots; would that make them more charistmatic like Tiger? Maybe if they put on the incredulous look or pouty face every time they miss a putt.

[ QUOTE ]
If Tiger doesn't pick it up then I can see the popularity of the men's tour falling off dramatically. Very remeniscent of men's tennis in the 90s.

[/ QUOTE ]

the best players in the world are all playing at the top of their games. I really find this very unlikely. I'm more excited to watch golf right now than I ever was, and I've always enjoyed watching

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I can't really see the LPGA overtaking the PGA in terms of popularity.