Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Bankroll Requirements.

read this article, the "playing big and taking shots" section

http://www.notedpokerauthority.com/a...s/article6.htm
Old 11-20-2005, 07:59 PM

Unless you love to tilt, playing more tables generally reduces variance.

Also If you spend 80 hours at a 1 200NL table vs spending 800 hours 10 tabling the 20NL. I can almost guarentee more variance (and probably loss) in the 200 table.

taking shots at higher tables isin't bad and that is how I moved up, but don't make it your regular game.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:12 PM

you're not reducing variance. you're just playing more hands per hour. if you want to reduce variance the only way to do it would be to make your bets smaller, stop playing in raised pots, etc. of course this will probably have the added effect of lowering winrate.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:32 PM

All I'm saying is that poker is not a job for me, its an investment opportunity. I look at it like I look at any other investment; Get your money in when you have reason to believe it will give you a good return. For me I accept the risk that I may loose it all, just like in the stock market. What keeps me from going broke is research and careful investing (paying attention, and picking tables well, and bringing the right amount of money to the table).

I'm just offering a different way of looking at it. I don't want to grind out a couple bucks a week. When I play I look to make a good return on a decent amount of money.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:35 PM

If I were really worried about variance I would quit poker and get a 9-5 with a good pension plan.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I were really worried about variance I would quit poker and get a 9-5 with a good pension plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

people can easily make > $50/hr playing poker. What kind of other job opportunities do they have that can allow them to earn that much money? Which professions will allow them to put hours in whenever they want. Which professions will allow them not to have to deal with annoying customers and co workers? All I know is if my poker bankroll constitutes the bulk of my networth and I have no other sources of income then I would do my best to reduce the risk of ruin.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:51 PM

For those who are making 50 dollars an hour, I'm guessing they don't have to worry much about the "risk of ruin".
Old 11-20-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those who are making 50 dollars an hour, I'm guessing they don't have to worry much about the "risk of ruin".

[/ QUOTE ]

you can make 50/hr playing multiple tables of 100nl. if you are under-rolled with less than 20 buyins give or take depending on your style of play, there is still a chance to go broke. please read the definition of variance using an introductory probability and statistics text book.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All I'm saying is that poker is not a job for me, its an investment opportunity. I look at it like I look at any other investment; Get your money in when you have reason to believe it will give you a good return. For me I accept the risk that I may loose it all, just like in the stock market. What keeps me from going broke is research and careful investing (paying attention, and picking tables well, and bringing the right amount of money to the table).

I'm just offering a different way of looking at it. I don't want to grind out a couple bucks a week. When I play I look to make a good return on a decent amount of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly the way I look at poker. However, looking on it as an investment is not the point. It's making sure that you can keep on making investments in the future if one or two lose you money.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:32 PM

No reason to insult me. My point of view is that multi tabling at NL tables is only one way to make money, and it is more like a job. The other way would be to play higher limits and play one table at a time. I play shorthanded NL, and I doubt that you could succeed at higher limits if you were multi-tabling.

By playing multiple tables, you ignore a big part of NLHE. You can't pay attention to everything that is happening at the table. It seems to me that it would be hard to improve your poker if you're not paying attention. I would rather be observant and successful at a higher limit than play 7 tables at once.

For my goals bankroll requirements seem to slow down progress, for the multi-tabler, bankroll requirements probably keep you from going bust.