Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Re: how good is your limit hold \'em

I have ordered this book and Middle Limit Holdem and Weighing the Odds. In which order should they be read? Is this book the most advanced of the three?
Old 09-10-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have ordered this book and Middle Limit Holdem and Weighing the Odds. In which order should they be read? Is this book the most advanced of the three?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! These are the exact 3 I am about to use my Borders coupons for. Let me know how they are.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:12 AM

id question its value. 2+2 books on the subject are excellent and cover plenty. most of what is in books is repeated info or just plain common sense/knowledge. nothing 'revolutionary' is ever (almost) in a poker book anymore
Old 09-11-2005, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HGIYLHE first, Yao's book second, HGIYLHE again and again and again (easy to revisit, its just a series of quizes after all). MLHE makes a nice door stop, and good reading if you are god enough to filter out the weak-tight advice.

The above is assuming you have a very solid foundation. If not, then SSHE, followed by Yao, then continue with my strategy.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2005, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
id question its value. 2+2 books on the subject are excellent and cover plenty. most of what is in books is repeated info or just plain common sense/knowledge. nothing 'revolutionary' is ever (almost) in a poker book anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you are right, all the best writing is already done, no point in buying any more books, posting anymore hands, or discussing a hand over a beer with your buddy after the end of a session. It is all "old hat", and just a waste of time.

I hope you, and your closed mind, are at my table soon.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HGIYLHE first, Yao's book second, HGIYLHE again and again and again (easy to revisit, its just a series of quizes after all). MLHE makes a nice door stop, and good reading if you are god enough to filter out the weak-tight advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno, I'd advocate the exact opposite. First you want to learn how to play solid, then you get fancy, so that you always have your road game to fall back on.

Having followed through the controversies about MLLHE, I have yet to see any real evidence that the book in any way advocates a weak tight style. If anything I though "How good is your limit hold'em" advocated a bit too much dogfighting for my taste.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:04 AM

I have read the cover off the twoplustwo limit books and i think i have gotten all the concepts.
I guess its easiest reading WtO first because its very similar to SSH. Reading hands have become naturally for me but I still its hard to lay down lets say QQ headsup against a tight raiser UTG who capped preflop and threebetting the flop (i shouldnt have raised). Getting full value against bad players isnt hard IMO because they play nearly the same whole time. I have also found alot of repeating in the twoplustwo books and i guess i want to read MLH just because Malmuth doesnt like it. But then maybe HGIYLHE have the best quizzes and answers.
I get the books on thursday and I guess it will take a month or two to read all three. I dont know if its better to focus on one book and make clear that I understand the concepts and in which situations they apply.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:46 AM

I thought it was a good book. (Although I hate the layout of the series.)
Old 09-11-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If anything I though "How good is your limit hold'em" advocated a bit too much dogfighting for my taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you obviously didn't like SSHE either... both books advocate pushing small edges for a positive expected value in the long run. Sounds like you don't like money to me.

Old 09-11-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If anything I though "How good is your limit hold'em" advocated a bit too much dogfighting for my taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you obviously didn't like SSHE either... both books advocate pushing small edges for a positive expected value in the long run. Sounds like you don't like money to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a look at what Feeny says about the hunt for non existant "small edges". And there is no need to be rude.