Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: First Checkup (15K), Help me figure out why I suck....

Ok, trying to get the consensus here:

Pre-flop is pretty good, nothing out of the ordinary.
I need to be more agressive post-flop, will need help figuring that out, look forward to posting hands for that help.
It has been suggested that I am folding too many winners. Is my went to showdown OK? If so, am I taking the wrong hands to showdown? I thought that my winning % was OK, but does it need to be lower? If so, how does losing more hands help me win money? Please explain.

Also, are there any other stats that one might need to better understand the situation?

Thanks as always.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, are there any other stats that one might need to better understand the situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a limited ammount of information that can be gleaned from just stats. Your stats are a little hinky, but nothing is glaring other than WtSD, which is a bit low. I'd also say you can PFR a little more, but again, no big deal.

Now what you should focus on is replying to more threads. That will be the key to your further development and improvement.

[ QUOTE ]
how does losing more hands help me win money?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not the right way to look at it. Consider this.

Lets say your W$SD is 75%. That is, when you go to showdown 3 times out of 4 you have the best hand. Sound good? It's actually very bad. This only happens if you're very very sure that you have the best hand when you're willing to show it down. But in poker you can never really be sure, and many of the times when you thought you were loser, you would actually have won.

Ok, quick. Whats the biggest error in holdem?

Losing a whole pot that is rightfully yours is the biggest mistake in holdem (ok, maybe the 2nd biggest, but its real close). Why? Becasue if you fold in a pot that has $20 in it but you had the best hand, it's a $20 mistake. If you call a $1 bet to win that pot, and you had the worst hand, it's only a $1 mistake. See?

Becasue of this, a W$SD of 75% is a complete disaster. It's a very bad thing. Conversely, seeing every showdown isn't the answer either. There is an optimal mix somewhere where the $ you win is maximized. It turns out that that mix is somewhere in the range of a W$SD of 52-57. This stat is debatable, and changes with changing game conditions. But most experienced players will not disagree with me by very much.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Losing a whole pot that is rightfully yours is the biggest mistake in holdem (ok, maybe the 2nd biggest, but its real close). Why? Becasue if you fold in a pot that has $20 in it but you had the best hand, it's a $20 mistake. If you call a $1 bet to win that pot, and you had the worst hand, it's only a $1 mistake. See?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nicely said bro. This is a huge lesson for all new poker players to learn.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:59 AM

I think your went to SD is significantly too low. It should be at least 35% and probably closer to 40.

-DeathDonkey
Old 07-12-2005, 12:17 PM

So, my W$SD needs to be 52-58%, what does my go to showdown percentage need to be?
Old 07-12-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your went to SD is significantly too low. It should be at least 35% and probably closer to 40.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when? 30 is a perfectly acceptable WSD. 40 strikes me as calling down way too much.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, my W$SD needs to be 52-58%, what does my go to showdown percentage need to be?

[/ QUOTE ]

The consensus numbers are all in the FAQ.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:11 PM

Whoa my bad. I don't have PT in front of me and I think I was remembering my 6 max numbers. Everyone ignore my earlier claims about WtSD please.

-DeathDonkey
Old 07-12-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this an indication that I take too many tptk or pocket pair to the river? Should I fold more with these hands to aggression?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have huge losses with one pair, also. I think these stats include any time you have a pair and (a) make it to the river and (b) fold before the river. So, the one-pair stats probably include a lot of hands where you saw the flop (maybe from the BB for free), flopped a crap pair, and folded.

This almost has to be the case, because how many times are you going to make it to the river when it's 10-handed with high card? Not very often, yet you and me both have big losses there.

[/ QUOTE ]

It actually includes any hand that is dealt which would have had a pair in it, even those you fold pf. So, if the board pairs, or pairs up with one of your hole cards, even though you fold, it shows up as a pair in PT stats.

-Jaran
Old 07-12-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

for more aggro 6max games that you play sure for .5/1 full eh a little high

32-35prob is better range