Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Question about B&M etiquette...

I disagree. If everyone else at the table thinks it's rude to hit and run, then you shouldn't do it. You'll be back there again most likely, so you might as well get on well with the other players. Humour them.

If you have a train to catch, or some other reason you have to leave, that's a different matter. You just don't want to get a reputation for hit and run.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. If everyone else at the table thinks it's rude to hit and run, then you shouldn't do it. You'll be back there again most likely, so you might as well get on well with the other players. Humour them.

If you have a train to catch, or some other reason you have to leave, that's a different matter. You just don't want to get a reputation for hit and run.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was there 5 hours, that's not a hit and run.

To OP, leave when you want to leave. If you ran out of money, I doubt the table would have pitched in so you could stay because you still had 2 hours to kill before your train.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:59 AM

thanks for the replies, it was getting late, 11pm and I had work the next day, besides, i played a 5 hour session.

This is the only club that i play at, and I have become friends with alot of the regulars, So the last thing I want is for them to think that i am a hit and runner.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:01 PM

I think in your situation what you did is fine, particularly if you explained what was going on. If I win a big pot shortly before my stopping time I try to play at least a full orbit afterwards.

[ QUOTE ]
these people aren't your friends, these people are your atm...

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you think this, making it apparent by leaving abruptly and behaving rudely will quickly find you without a good game. Manners are +EV.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:08 PM

If you're so afraid of that, just start racking up your chips on that last orbit. If during that last orbit you happen to win a pot, then so be it. They will see you were already racking up and understand it's not a "hit and run", it's a "you were about to leave anyways".
Old 11-30-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. If everyone else at the table thinks it's rude to hit and run, then you shouldn't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This logic is flawed. What about if the people don't like check-raising? It's almost universally accepted, but if the players at that particular table don't like it, can you still do it?

Just because the particular players at the table think you should stick around doesn't mean that's the rule. I think there's even a section in SS where Doyle says he doesn't understand why people get upset at hit and runs. It becomes the player's money as soon as he collects the pot, and it is his choice what to do with it.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:14 PM

If you're a regular, and they're regulars, then they should understand that you have a train to catch. If they wanted to "get even" then they would know they'll have another chance at you.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:19 PM

If I actually did have to catch a train or something (people still ride trains?) I would mention something about it before leaving, just to avoid looking like a cheap greedy bastard.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:24 PM

When EXACTLY is it your money? - when the dealer pushes it your way!

Leaving +$$ >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >> Leaving -$$