Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2004, 12:28 PM

Default Re: empire poker school

Hi,

it took w wile do find the empire scool, but...

you wrote "i only glanced at a few of the pages, but the "when an ace raises" advice in stud/8 is clearly the exact same as ray zee's in a few places. perhaps this is the only example in the strategy guides, but i doubt it."

Well, at empire the advice is 3 sentences long, namely: "When an ace raises, you should not play many hands. Dump all of your high pairs because you do not know if the ace is going high or low. Even when playing against a maniac, keep in mind that he is starting with the best card in the deck"

Ray Zee writes, in my book, this advices in a whole page. Sentence one are the same, but common knowledge. Sentence 2 is defeniately not according to Zee. He says to be leary to raise or even playing the high pairs. Not what Empire teaches. Sentence 3 is extremely close to a sentence in Zees book. But again, its common knowledge, and one thing one often hear players saying to eachother.

So: Sentence one: Probulary not have a case
Sentense two: Definiately not have a case, advice differs from Zee
Sentence three: Maybe have a case.

There are som advices in the school that could be from 2+2 books. There are also advices that clearely NOT are from the books, like the power of the 6 in an A2xx hand in Omaha Hi/Lo (at least I have not found it in any 2+2 book). Probulary the writer(s) have put together their text, and then consulted the books available to get a good language (Empire is a greek company I think).

Old 02-06-2004, 12:55 PM

Hi Again,

well, I re-read Zees book, and found out that he also advises to fold the high pairs - my error. However, clearely not stated the same way as at Empire.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:27 PM

Hi Lindiz:

I took a quick look at the site and I don't see any problem.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 02-06-2004, 02:15 PM

Hi Mason,

Well you actually should be proud. There are some 2+2 "language", some "Brunson Brawl" and some Caro-isms, but no T&T Championship bullshit :-) The Greeks may not have any knowledge about Interlectual Property, but they sure knows to chose their sorces.

The text about High Omaha is really good. It adresses limit, but the autors writes some about pot-limit as well. This text is also longer than the others. I know that they play alot pot-limit Omaha by the midterreian (how the hell do you spell that sea), and my guess is that they have consulted a good poker player with somewhat bad writing skills.