Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 08:33 AM

Default Re: I will not be donating to the victims of Katrina

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately for them, I will not be donating a dime to any charity for the relief effort. Our government should be able to fund the appropriate agencies but instead we have no surplus for several reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think it is the responsibility of society to help these people, and you think the government should tax society to enforce that responsibility (I'll assume you believe that people are too selfish to live up to their resposibility if government doesn't make them). Since government isn't taxing the people enough, you'll be selfish and refuse to pitch in. OK.

Now you get on the internet and tell the whole world. Do you want a medal? You want someone to tell you how much of a genius you are?
Old 09-01-2005, 09:29 AM

I could be wrong but the gist of your post is that you have no personal responsibility and accountability for contributing to the betterment of society. The accountability and responsibility rests collectivley through the government solely. You're entitled to your opinion and it's duely noted. This is the same rationalization that a cheapskate would use btw. Also government will spend billions in aid to this area.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:50 AM

Just because you hate the current administration and/or the US federal government this should not prevent you from helping others at any time. If you a homeless person came up to you and asked for a dollar what would you say? "I can give you a dollar but I will not because the government should be able to fund you that dollar"
Old 09-01-2005, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lastly, and the most disturbing to me since at least a tax break and the occupation of Iraq can be argued to have American interest in mind, our government hands out charity to other nations for disaster relief and copious other reasons when we obviously can't afford it.

[/ QUOTE ]

We obviously can't afford it? You have a lot to learn about international economics.

Your arguments have many flaws
Old 09-01-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so do u think the people who are volunteering time and energy to rescue people from their roofs and attics are being ignorant? Should they just sit back and say.."this is not my responsibility?" you are sad, it shouldnt be about money at a time like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The people of New Orleans were shortsighted--no, foolish. Their infrastructure was unsound for many years. They live at an unsound elevation in an area that has a history of hurricanes...And many stayed after they knew this was going to be a big one...

Maybe the people there read too many Sklansky posts in the Philosophy section and thought god/JC/Buddha or whatever would stop the hurricane dead in it's tracks and save the city [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2005, 11:00 AM

So just because you disagree with the administration (nevermind that your arguments for your disagreements are tired and flat out wrong), you decide to stick it to the people who have just lost everything they own and possibly loved ones too. Way to go. Hopefully you'll be shown the same compassion if something happens to you.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:14 PM

Only a sick [censored] like the OP would punish those in need to try to send a message to the gov't.

May you rot in hell
Old 09-01-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only a sick [censored] like the OP would punish those in need to try to send a message to the gov't.

May you rot in hell

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is churlish not to admit he made a good point, however I agree with you that the suffering of other undeserving people should not be politicised. I will probably play a couple of the tournies organised in the zoo, hope to see some of you there.

Regards Mack
Old 09-01-2005, 12:26 PM

They are estimating the total recovery costs to be in the 20-30 billion dollar range, and that doesn't even consider the monetary price on peoples' personal possessions and future livelyhood. To truly believe that a democrat in the White House would have that much aid money lying around is just stupid. And your logic for refusing to donate is just as stupid as well.

Don't get me wrong, I do not think anyone is obligated to donate. We all have our reasons for or not for donating. But to say you refuse to donate as a protest to our republican elected president is asinine.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes. The people of New Orleans were shortsighted--no, foolish. Their infrastructure was unsound for many years. They live at an unsound elevation in an area that has a history of hurricanes...And many stayed after they knew this was going to be a big one...

[/ QUOTE ]

Many people did not have to option to leave due to lack of financial and other resources. Also many people can not afford to easily move away due to many reasons, like jobs and such. To say they are all "foolish" is asinine, are you saying anyone that lives in california is foolish, there could be an earthquake anytime there, does that make everyone in the state foolish? Anyone that lives in a flood zone in the united states, or for that matter any country, are they foolish?

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe the people there read too many Sklansky posts in the Philosophy section and thought god/JC/Buddha or whatever would stop the hurricane dead in it's tracks and save the city [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

bad joke... even worse, bad timing