Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Cigars, Politics and Freedom (in that order)

[ QUOTE ]

It is to be expected if the largest and most accessible market is arbitrarily closed (probably in the name of economic freedom and free markets [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ).

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really not know why there is an (outdated) embargo on Cuba?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It is to be expected if the largest and most accessible market is arbitrarily closed (probably in the name of economic freedom and free markets [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ).

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard it had something to do with Castro [censored] Marilyn Monroe.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it was a loss rather than a victory for the US. Seems to always work like that. Vietnam was the same. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it was a loss rather than a victory for the US. Seems to always work like that. Vietnam was the same. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it sucks that we lost the Cuban missile crisis.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:01 PM

The Nicaraguan company Padron makes some damn fine cigars that in my mind are just as good, if not better than the Cubans I have smoked.

Cubans are in my opinion overrated, and overpriced, but to each his own.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Nicaraguan company Padron makes some damn fine cigars that in my mind are just as good, if not better than the Cubans I have smoked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should we even bother asking which cubans you smoked?
Old 11-28-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see your point, but I don't think I need to divulge that information. I can tell you I have had quite a few top dollar cubans ($25-$40 range) and in my opinion, dollar for dollar they are not worth the effort to try to track them down inside the U.S.

Smoking cigars for me is about personal preference, not about being an elitist who wants to impress everyone around him but doesn't even know how to appreciate the cigar.

Like I said, to each his own.

I personally prefer padrons, but I understand, if someone else doesn't.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see your point, but I don't think I need to divulge that information. I can tell you I have had quite a few top dollar cubans ($25-$40 range) and in my opinion, dollar for dollar they are not worth the effort to try to track them down inside the U.S.

Smoking cigars for me is about personal preference, not about being an elitist who wants to impress everyone around him but doesn't even know how to appreciate the cigar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I def agree, that its preference, not being elitist. But, one, I hate padrons, I had the 1926 anniv, and did not like it one bit (and it was not cheap), 2- I really dislike some cubans, it just happens that my favorite is a cuban (2004 sublime). To me the Padron's are too strong, and "stingy", where a nice H Upman (domestic) Vintage cameroon is my style. Does Padron make something similar to the Upman that I could try?
Old 11-29-2005, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I def agree, that its preference, not being elitist. But, one, I hate padrons, I had the 1926 anniv, and did not like it one bit (and it was not cheap), 2- I really dislike some cubans, it just happens that my favorite is a cuban (2004 sublime). To me the Padron's are too strong, and "stingy", where a nice H Upman (domestic) Vintage cameroon is my style. Does Padron make something similar to the Upman that I could try?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never had the 1926 because I have heard the same thing, which makes it seem not worth the money. I have had quite a few 1967's and I absolutely love that line. I believe the 1926 series use the same filler as the 1967's but they are just aged 2 years longer in the Padron warehouse.

Most of the 1967's I have smoked have been aged in my humidor for at least a year, which will improve just about any cigar.

A good 1967 is one of the creamiest cigars, producing huge amounts of rich, white smoke, which is very satisfying to me. The draw is also very easy.

Anyway about your comment about the 1926's being to stingy, I have definitely noticed this on other Padron cigars when they have not been aged after I purchased them. I bought a box of 6000's a couple months ago and noticed the first few I smoked (didn't let them age) were stingy as hell, almost to the point of being unpleasant. However, now that they have aged for a few months, they are a very good moderate priced cigar.

I kind of think Padron may be rushing cigars out to keep up with the demand. If that is the case the quality will definitely suffer, which is unfortunate.

As for a recommendation, I have never had the Upman you talk about, what are the properties of it? Hard to recommend something when I have not had what you're favorite cigar is. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Cubans are in my opinion overrated, and overpriced , but to each his own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they are illegal. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]