Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Playing a draw like the pros

Wait is this the first hand?? are we talking like 2% of your stack...THESE CHIPS ARE VALUABLE CUT YOUR LOSSES.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:12 PM

Yes call T250 for T1000 pot, with a very disguised holding and a larger stack than opponent. Auto call. First raise is OK if you do this rarely and this is a larger buy in tourney with good opponents and deceptive play is a must. (i.e. D.N. in a large buy in event).
Old 01-04-2005, 02:15 PM

I dont hate the call looking back at it but what flop are you guys looking for here??
Old 01-04-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont hate the call looking back at it but what flop are you guys looking for here??

[/ QUOTE ]

OESD or 2 pair or trips or a pair and a gutshot or a flush or a flush draw. Something that allows me to play poker.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Playing a missed steal like the pros

Annie D. knows Daniel N. could have any two here. This guy doesn't think that way about you.

That said, if we think of this as a steal from MP that has gone awry, we might get someplace with this discussion.

Okay, you've decided to raise from MP with something that looks suspiciously like cheese. Not brilliant poker, perhaps, but you've got a big stack, so nobody is going to say this is the worst move ever.

You get re-raised. t1000 in the pot, you have to call t250, so you're getting 4:1 on your call. Marginal, perhaps, but you do it anyway.

Flop looks ragged, but you've got the OESD.

What does he have? Overcards, obviously. AK, AQs, perhaps a big pair.

What does he think you have? You just called his raise, so he has probably discounted KK-QQ (AA unless he thinks you're pretty tricky). I'd put you on AK or AQ, maybe JJ or TT. So he figures he's ahead or tied.

So what do you do? You have problems:
-You're out of position.
-He's already invested 1/4 of his stack and says he has a strong hand. He's not going to lay it down easily.
-If you make any kind of reasonable bet and he calls, he is going to be pot committed, and so will you. (ie. You bet 750, and he pushes, you pretty much have to call.)

I have to think that the smart move here is to check and hope for a free card. If he makes a reasonable bet, you fold. If he is weak-tight and tosses out a min-bet becasue he missed with his AK, you can call and hope to complete your draw.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Annie D. knows Daniel N. could have any two here. This guy doesn't think that way about you.

That said, if we think of this as a steal from MP that has gone awry, we might get someplace with this discussion.

Okay, you've decided to raise from MP with something that looks suspiciously like cheese. Not brilliant poker, perhaps, but you've got a big stack, so nobody is going to say this is the worst move ever.

You get re-raised. t1000 in the pot, you have to call t250, so you're getting 4:1 on your call. Marginal, perhaps, but you do it anyway.

Flop looks ragged, but you've got the OESD.

What does he have? Overcards, obviously. AK, AQs, perhaps a big pair.

What does he think you have? You just called his raise, so he has probably discounted KK-QQ (AA unless he thinks you're pretty tricky). I'd put you on AK or AQ, maybe JJ or TT. So he figures he's ahead or tied.

So what do you do? You have problems:
-You're out of position.
-He's already invested 1/4 of his stack and says he has a strong hand. He's not going to lay it down easily.
-If you make any kind of reasonable bet and he calls, he is going to be pot committed, and so will you. (ie. You bet 750, and he pushes, you pretty much have to call.)

I have to think that the smart move here is to check and hope for a free card. If he makes a reasonable bet, you fold. If he is weak-tight and tosses out a min-bet becasue he missed with his AK, you can call and hope to complete your draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok...Sam put an end to this thread.

nothing to see here. move along.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:55 PM

Aw, come on. Don't we even get take grapes to him in hospital (or get the result)