Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 12:08 AM

Default Re: How can I be down 60BB in 6 hours?!!!

There could be many things going on here. Playing for 6 hours online can sometimes drain your concentration, and hitting bad cards for an hour can put the rest of the time on tilt. Could just be a bit of variance, -60 BB is not unheard of at all. Most don't even mention it till it's -150 or more. And most importantly it could be leaks in your postflop game, this is what you need to worry about, are you too "fit or fold", do you fold to many rivers, are you value betting properly, protecting your hands properly, betting your draws. Playing the right cards preflop isn't even half of it. I used to just play by preflop charts too, and they're good starting points to becoming a winning player but check your postflop game.
I know all this might be stuff you've heard. In my opinion it's probably several of these factors combined , but simply based on how you put emphasis on how you've been playing the preflop chart from SSH perfectly, makes me think that you think that's all there is to playing good poker. I may be wrong and if I am I appologize. I want you to do well, but being down 60 BB comes and goes with variance. I just wanted to make you think if there's some holes in your game esspescially postflop. If it's not leaks I sugest leave the comp, take a walk, have a smoke (if you do), clear your head. Because this post deffinately shows that you have become overly worried about 60 BB and that probably means that even with a good game your stressed, and may be making bad decisions.

Sorry for the huge thesis: in short 60 BB's comes and go's, check your game, check your stress or tilt level. If it's not these it's still not a devastating run of variance.

Just don't worry about it to much if you do then I'd look out for when you hit 100-200 BB downswings, cause tilt will multiply them
Old 07-04-2005, 12:56 AM

If you can't handle that, you're going to throw yourself off a cliff when the 100+ swings start hitting.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:21 AM

I'm also having one of those days where the cards just won't cooperate. Flopping a nut straight isn't good enough. Every time I hit trips, it gives someone else a full house. And so on.

Poker is streaky. Right now is a downswing. Just keep playing.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:48 AM

Welcome to Poker =D
Old 07-04-2005, 01:50 AM

I'm down 120 BB over 2,000 hands in the last 2 days at 1/2.

Do you feel a little better about your situation now?
Old 07-04-2005, 01:52 AM

I lost 40BB at 1/2 in an hour and had pocket 10s 5 times and KK once! Lost all those times...
Old 07-04-2005, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play all of my starting hands exactly as stated in SSH.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're doing that, then you might not have actually understood the preflop section.

[ QUOTE ]
Without doing anything crazy or stupid, im losing a lot of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can be doing crazy and stupid things and be up 60BB over 6 hours. Welcome to poker.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing im asking is, is it normal to lose that much with just preflop play?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Preflop play is fairly simple. Most likely you're losing much more after the flop then you are preflop.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:12 AM

More importantly, he might not understand why he is playing poorly post flop. It's very easy to not chase unprofitable draws, but it is also very easy to play too tightly and pass up on profitable draws, not play aggressively enough, etc.

The preflop charts in SSHE exist so you don't have to totally understand preflop play to play well preflop. But if you can't understand those concepts, then you will struggle post flop.

Oh and the downswing began the second I started to finalize a deal to buy a car. It does not feel good to lose 240 dollars after agreeing to a large financial investment.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:33 AM

I'm also down badly after the weekend on PP... is there a chance perhaps that the good players have dropped down to the 0.5/1 tables to clear their July bonus?