Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 03:53 AM

Default Re: All in 1st Hand

[ QUOTE ]
I just despise this choice:

Tournament Life as a Coinflip

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason you call this is precisely because this will not be a coinflip a large majority of the time. Very rarely in these low buyin donkfests will you be shown one of the 2 hands that has you dominated. And in some cases, but probably still a minority of the time, will you be shown the only hand that is a coinflip to yours. Take the edge.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just despise this choice:

Tournament Life as a Coinflip
vs.
Outskilling people later in the tourney

I'd like to think more times then not, i can go deeper into tournaments not calling pre-flop acid trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really know what that means, but suffice to say that people who think they can outskill people while passing up large edges usually can't. Or don't have the chips to. Or find that awesome postflop play and small-bet maneuvering can only make you so many chips and they aren't enough to win. Or whatever.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:32 AM

until you have a deeper stack, at these small buyins, your skill amounts to pretty much nil. donks only fear big bets... and you cant make em yet.

part of skill is getting your money in when its better....

SO CALL!
Old 10-02-2005, 06:01 AM

lol often i open push AA/KK in low buyin super deepstack (and only AA/KK)
Old 10-02-2005, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with calling, but I wouldn't completely discount the possibility of AA/KK. I have encountered a fair number of (horrible) players who will just push all their good hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the micro levels in the first hour, open pushing with AA can be the best play. I watched a friend of mine play in one of these low buy-in tournaments ( like a $2 Stars buy-in ) and he had a top 5 stack after the first hour by playing exactly 3 hands. AA twice and KK once, open pushing with them each time.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:27 AM

Its funny you say that, a few weeks ago, I played in one of these micros for fun, and first hand, I got AA UTG. I laughed to myself and remembered how loose people were calling in these, and instapushed. Got 2 callers, QQ and 5 9(lol). Tripled up my first hand. Did the same thing later on in the first half hour with KK, and someone with a similar stack called me, and I was up to 10000 chips.

I'd never do that in a mid buy in or higher, but those small ones, you are much more likely to get called on those open pushes.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This deserves a full discussion, if someone did this to you @ the WPT/WSOP event what would you do?

When you have a R1-2 how do you call a person who has previously all-inned with a much worse hand, or someone who just sat on the table of a 5+1/or a micro?

Perplexing thoughts, i just fold now :\

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, this isn't a WSOP/WPT event.. so don't treat it like one... you call this. Stacks aren't that deep, and this guuy is a tool and he most often you're winning here... this is a call..

[/ QUOTE ]
yea, also you're not paying 10K to enter this tourny, just a few bucks.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:49 PM

I try to put my opponents that i dont know(do note you have _NO_ idea how 90% of the ppl in these small tournaments play, I try to put them on knowing what the hell they are doing.

Is this a bad assumption?
To believe everybody could possibly be "good".

This play is on Queens, 2 Hands basically are huge favorites, and 2 combinations AKs and AKo are coin flips, i realize everybody here is saying:

"this is a dumb play, hes a low stakes player, they all suck"

I well imagine you all started with huge BR's playing on 50+5 and 100+10 buyin tourney's. I dont think most people start like that.

You all need an ego check.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:54 PM

I started out playing freerolls and learned how the bad players play, then moved onto the micro buy in tourneys. Now, I play mostly the 10 buck ones, occasionally doing the 30+3, and play the micros from time to time mostly for fun and experience.

IMO, if I got AA, KK, QQ, AKo, AKS, or AQs, I will call an all in first hand against someone. I can assume if they are willing to go all in first hand, they are not a very good player (or they realize they will get action with their AA or KK, in which case, I am wrong). I wouldn't call with, say, AJs or 99 first hand in, but if someone calls and he wins with something bad, and he does it again, my calling standards towards that player loosen up alot.

Plus in the micros, if I call with say, AQs and I am up against KK, I still got a 30% chance of winning, and if I lose, I lost very little. Plus, I'd rather try to get a big stack early in those, while there are so many bad players still in there. And I make that assumption because, alot of new players would rather play the micros and play not really knowing what they are doing than play a higher buy in and not really know what they are doing.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I try to put my opponents that i dont know(do note you have _NO_ idea how 90% of the ppl in these small tournaments play, I try to put them on knowing what the hell they are doing.

Is this a bad assumption?
To believe everybody could possibly be "good".

This play is on Queens, 2 Hands basically are huge favorites, and 2 combinations AKs and AKo are coin flips, i realize everybody here is saying:

"this is a dumb play, hes a low stakes player, they all suck"

I well imagine you all started with huge BR's playing on 50+5 and 100+10 buyin tourney's. I dont think most people start like that.

You all need an ego check.

[/ QUOTE ]

You started off asking some questions, wondering if you were taking the right approach, but you sure picked up steam until by the end of your post you were willing to make a blanket criticism of everyone who responded!

The vast majority of us offer these opinions based not on our ruminations from some ivory tower, but on actual experience playing in low buy-in tournaments. We have seen so many bad plays during the first few hands of these events that our default assumption is that we are seeing yet another.