Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: good ole QQ at $5-5

I think you are both very wrong, particularly with the flat caller between us.
There is 255 in the pot, i only have around 300 left. You want your stack to be around 4x the pot to make it worthwhile to make that play.
But with a three way pot, that is just a terrible play as you are giving two people shots at you.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:00 PM

I used to be one to always reraise with QQ but I have learned the error of my ways.

The reason it is a problem is because if villain pushes after your reraise, you are forced to fold. By reopening betting, you are giving him maximum folding equity if he elects to put you to the test with AK.

also, when you reraise, you risk folding out hands you dominate like JJ, TT, AQ.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:42 PM

I agree that UTG+2 HAS to reraise with AA or KK, a flat call is insane, giving two players a great chance to draw out on him.
It would be okay for him to take the pot down preflop with those holdings or get the hand heads-up. He has UTG beaten for sure.

As the hand played out, hmm...I maybe would have just called his $25-bet. If he's a solid player you may actually be behind here but seeing a flop is good.
I like to call but maybe it is a bit weak and lets the UTG in for cheap.

Good fold.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:54 AM

thanks.
per you and lapoker17, i do agree a flat call may have been in order. i have done that at times. i do think i can make the read on the flop if it comes low. i do think it is close, but think you two are correct.

even though we both had QQ, i do think it was the correct fold.
interesting, just about nobody responded on that, and that really was my question.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:29 AM

Hi sdplayerb,

You played the hand very well. Your raise was a little small, but due to your stack size, and the fact that you were open to getting off the hand, you had to leave a little headroom. As you noted, the caller between you made the read possible. If not for him, the raiser could probably get all your chips with AA (but not with KK, since he'd have to re-raise, as you could easily hold a big ace given your play). As it stood, he was forced to play back at you, and I think most solid players would opt for a call (or a rare fold) with JJ, and a fold or push with AK. So, you read him for stronger than AK, and he had the one hand that that could mean that you want to play against. Nicely played.