Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2004, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Do you ever wish you were innocent??

i thought it was clear that i meant it sucks to go through life believing that nothing really matters. don't you agree?

i also believe that being religious means nothing.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:25 PM

Homer:

[ QUOTE ]
See, this is why I think being religious means nothing. You say you "believe in god", yet tell someone that it "sucks to be you" in practically the same breath.

[/ QUOTE ]

Religious people do not have a corner on hypocrisy -- it is a problem with man in general. Religious people are no more or less hypocritical than athiests... or agnostics.... or whatever. Of course, they do make easy targets.

--Rico
Old 07-14-2004, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Do you ever wish you were ??

Read your quote on the topic of innocence... good comment. Also, go blue! I went to Huron and am living in ypsi, (though I'm moving next month). If you're looking for a game, my roommate and crew are always looking for another player.
-Eric
Old 07-14-2004, 08:12 AM

Is it true then, that it is never to late to turn to God?

Ejnar Pik, Southern-Docks
Old 07-06-2004, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People who believe in God always have a handy way to assign meaning to anything, and because of that they're lucky, though in my opinion uninformed or "ignorant" (uh oh ). I guess in a way that is a good parallel to the original posters point. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to hijack the thread here but I think you're ignorant. Personally, I'm an agnostic/atheist/occasional monotheist, depending on my mood, but whatever one believes, this has nothing to do with their intelligence or their knowledge. Better educated and more intelligent people than you or me have been atheists and have been religious, I don't think you're at all right to belittle the beliefs of others, especially when you have just as much proof for your belief as they do for theirs.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm an agnostic/atheist/occasional monotheist, depending on my mood, but whatever one believes, this has nothing to do with their intelligence or their knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, the word ignorant has nothing to do with intelligence and I didn't mean to imply that people who believe in God are stupid. Because I believe it to be "the truth" that God does not exist I am saying that IMO people who fail to recognize this are "ignorant" because they are not aware of this truth. However, since I can't prove that I'm right about God's existence or lack thereof, the word ignorant was probably a poor choice of words. I said it because it was mentioned in the original post with regard to EV and I wanted to tie that in. I take it back.

PS. If a guy was 100% convinced that God did exist, then his calling me ignorant on the subject would be fair from his perspective. In his opinion the existence of God is a fact and I am failing to realize this "fact". His calling me stupid however would not be fair.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, the word ignorant has nothing to do with intelligence and I didn't mean to imply that people who believe in God are stupid. Because I believe it to be "the truth" that God does not exist I am saying that IMO people who fail to recognize this are "ignorant" because they are not aware of this truth. However, since I can't prove that I'm right about God's existence or lack thereof, the word ignorant was probably a poor choice of words. I said it because it was mentioned in the original post with regard to EV and I wanted to tie that in. I take it back.

PS. If a guy was 100% convinced that God did exist, then his calling me ignorant on the subject would be fair from his perspective. In his opinion the existence of God is a fact and I am failing to realize this "fact". His calling me stupid however would not be fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty much a recognised fact, that god (or all religion) is a tool of the state created to manipulate the masses. In early civilisations this was the only way to keep any sort of order, things have changed a bit since then though. People can believe what they want, but to say someone is wrong to deny the existence of god is not fair, they have as much right to say it as the guys who go door to door have to sell their ideas.

Regards ML
Old 07-15-2004, 04:09 PM

If you are an atheist and a gambler then check this out:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/pascal-wager/
Old 07-15-2004, 06:22 PM

Get with the times buddy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] We've already been down that road in this thread.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:57 PM

Some of the happiest people I know live in trailers, are poor, live simple, never leave there county/area, drink/smoke/party, and enjoy the hell out of what they have.

Orange