Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2003, 06:23 AM

Default Re: Lemme tell you how hold\'em works Brier

With all due respect, I think you are completely off-base on this hand in general. In my experience, check-call the flop/bet the turn blank is overwhelmingly often a weak made hand like top pair/no kicker or bottom or middle pair. There is no reason for your opponent to expect you not to bet the turn, so most players would try to line up a checkraise when they turn two pair like this. So I think a turn raise is in order because your hand is still very vulnerable to overcards.

I think the river check is even worse. Your opponent bets the turn with two pair and then checks the river? Very unlikely. You make a big deal about how this is a 30-60 game, not a 1-2 game with idiots... but there is not a regular opponent that I can think of in my game who is passive enough to regularly check the river here with two pair. You will often get called by worse hands when you bet here.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Lemme tell you how hold\'em works Brier

Actually, idiots sometimes play $30-$60 too.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Jim Brier (Middle Limit Hold\'em) Problem

I suppose the blind could have 8-7 or T-7, but it doesn't make sense that he would bet the turn with one pair and then check the river with two pair. In 30-60, you don't see the button play 8-7 or T-7 and be so passive all the way. No question people are more likely to have 8-7 than 7-3, but neither seems to me to be a likely hand to worry about here.