Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2004, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Biggest lay down you ever made??

The turn woke up MP1 so it was different than the flop.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Me very confused here, you call a check raise, then hit your best card besides a spade, which i assume you were calling to hit running spades, and then fold, interesting

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a hand I still remember well. I just had a great read on the player with A-2. The tourney was the first time we had played together but we had been together at least 2-3 hours and I knew with enough certainty he had trips or a set to lay it down. In a vacuum it looks like a weird laydown.

The thing about the check raise was I felt the dude most likely had a middle pair due to the preflop action.

I left that tournament (just missed cashing unfortunately) feeling that it was the best poker I had played in my whole life.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:39 PM

Ahh, see that now, obviously still not a good call after a check raise and call to you on the flop..
Old 11-08-2004, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ahh, see that now, obviously still not a good call after a check raise and call to you on the flop..

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding for one bet on the flop would have been horrible when I put the raiser on middle pair.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:54 PM

What do you think the guy is coldcalling two bets with?
Old 11-08-2004, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think the guy is coldcalling two bets with?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is that weird time in limit tourneys where you desperately need to win one hand and we were in that twilight period.

IIRC he was a pretty good player, I would imagine his limping hands were 22-88 (quite possibly mucking 22-66), perhaps suited aces, perhaps not, perhaps a hand like KQ or KJs, maybe A-T. The thing is most pots were being open raised.

For him to have flopped trips or better he would have had to have pocket fives or A-2 most likely. I hold one of the other aces, making A-2 less likely. I have seen plenty of decent players call with overcards or an overpair like 8-8 haven't you?

I am getting 12:1 here, I don't think there is a hand I raise with preflop and lead out the flop that I laydown here.

First I am priced in to most things, second it would send too much of a signal that I could be pushed around too easily.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:14 PM

I am in Vienna a few years back. Last night of a successful trip, my flight leaves in a few hours - up a few thousand and felling good.

Playing conservatively and enjoying a few beers with some fun and rowdy Scandinavians.

Their buddy sits in and they all start making fun of him saying since he won big early in the day he will only play AA.

I am dealt Ako and raise, he reraises, i call.

His friends start howling and mocking him and yelling AA, AA. He turns red and looks away.

Flop is AKK. they start howling in laughter again. I bet, he raises with a super shaking hand. I start laughing and turn up Ak folding my AAKKK full house and he turns over AA.

To his credit he ordered a round of drinks for everyone.

I felt like a million bucks for folding - funnily enough I might not of if i was totally sober. They were a fun group of guys and tghe rest of the session was uneventful but enjoyable.

gl
Old 11-09-2004, 01:05 PM

in a home tourney one time i made a very impressive lay down...it was pretty cool....

i was on the button with A 9 off....folded to me..i made a bet of triple the BB...SB folded and BB(guy i had a great read on) called.

i suspected he had called with a small pocked pair...flop came 2, 5, 9. He checked...I made about a pot size bet...and he did a dumb acting job and said.."ok i call"...now i was certin he had 22, or 55......next card came down junk....he acted a while..and checked..i checked behind him...river was a 9...he bet big...and i said.... "man i got trips with the best kicker....but im certin you have a boat...so im going to fold"...i fold it face up and he shows me pocket 5's