Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2004, 06:15 PM

Default Re: i thought i played this great

[ QUOTE ]
20-40 good live game. i had Th8h in the cutoff. some fool limped, decent player raised, i cold called...

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this was a good game [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2004, 06:16 PM

Default Re: i thought you played this terribly

Me too - much too loose. (And I finally agree with Ulysses on a hand.)

By the way, Mike, after getting to show down a hand like this, I'd play really tight for awhile as you'll be sure to get paid off on your made hands.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:21 PM

I like mike's read on the hand. If opponent is indeed a decent player, once he gets raised on the flop by a unpredictable player like mike with a flush draw on board, he should still like his hand and should also suspect that a turn check raise may misfire, so it's a pretty routine flop reraise with TT/KK, no? I'll grant you there's some chance he has a set, I just don't think it's a very high one until it goes 5 bets [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 02-20-2004, 06:50 PM

dosnt T8 beat Ak on a T72KT board why did you muck????
Old 02-20-2004, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like mike's read on the hand. If opponent is indeed a decent player, once he gets raised on the flop by a unpredictable player like mike with a flush draw on board, he should still like his hand and should also suspect that a turn check raise may misfire, so it's a pretty routine flop reraise with TT/KK, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I play against a number of players like this version of mike, both live and online. If I 3-bet the flop, they will back down. But if I show weakness and just call on the flop, they will often auto-raise a turn bet to "test me." Against players who are allergic to calling down, I'll often take this line.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll grant you there's some chance he has a set, I just don't think it's a very high one until it goes 5 bets [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you here. But what do you really gain from the 4-bet? One extra bet the times he has AhQh and won't fire out a desperation river bluff? I'm willing to concede that in exchange for not having to call five bets on the turn w/ a pair of tens/8-kicker the times he does turn out to have a set. Ugh. Just typing that makes me sick.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dosnt T8 beat Ak on a T72KT board why did you muck????

[/ QUOTE ]

when river is 2c

He was saying he mucks when the river goes check-check and he doesn't improve to beat AK.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I hate suited connectors in pots where anyone besides me is doing the raising. I'd fold it in a heartbeat. In fact, i can't remember the last time I coldcalled any preflop raise with a suited connector.

[/ QUOTE ]

On acid, convinced the end of the world was at hand, and the chance of winning future pots virtually nil. In that situation, the line of play is understandable. Otherwise, agree with Clark and Ulysses.

(You couldn't just wait for T-NINE suited?)

'hoof
Old 02-20-2004, 10:36 PM

Hey mike,

Not sure how I feel yet; people have made lots of great points for and against your line. One thing that I'm curious about is what you would have done had a blank come on the river and he led out again? Fold, I'm guessing... But, if you did, is there any chance that you would be folding the best hand?

Just one more thing to think about...

ML4L
Old 02-20-2004, 10:49 PM

Default it\'s a fold preflop

Your turn four-bet was a bit rich for me. But I'm not cold-calling this semitrash before the flop.

You sucked out. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2004, 11:25 PM

Hi Mike.

Putting in 4 turn bets w/ even a huge 14 out draw is akin to putting a little more than 3/4 of a BB directly into your opponent's stack. Putting in 5 (I'm assuming you didn't feel lucky enough to 6-bet) with presumably 7 outs is akin to putting close to 1 and 3/4 of a BB directly into your opponent's stack.

I have no idea how Coilean (who successfully plays much higher than I even aspire to) can justify his encouragement. I think you put on a bit of a clown show.

I am curious of one thing: Do you think your opponent was particularly surprised by your holding?