Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 05:47 AM

Default Re: UTG min raise, call, CU re-min? Now What?

i was saying super-loose play like what you're advocating is why California and Vegas tourist games are so profitable for more solid players (like Exitonly) ... Exitonly is right: his reasoning is line with my original post in this thread.

face it, you got lucky holding A3o with a 245 flop vs someone else's 55. the odds against such a match up are huge (and no, i'm not going to do the match). using "implied odds" as justification to call with essentially any two cards (which is what A3o is) from early position (which is what the big blind is - besides the small blind, position doesn't get much "earlier", does it?) is by no means the blueprint to winning tournaments. i'm sure you have supreme confidence in your post-flop ability but even the most skilled post-flop player in the world would be a long-term loser employing an "any two because of implied odds" strategy.

now, if this was an unlimited rebuy tournament, i could better understand the case you are trying to make. but in a freezeout, no way ...
Old 12-01-2005, 05:48 AM

alright i was vague..

NOT ANYMORE

Go nuts. You're not going to hit your hands often enough. It's a leak. You have to get all his chips, everytime you hit, not lose any when you do hit.

And the part about not closing the action, it wasn't that you're gonna hve to put more than 40 in, it's that you're not goign to even SEE the flop when you put your 40 chips in a good part of the time.

And i dont know where you got that we think limit players can't play NL.. because i think limit poker is the best foundation for NL. I dont think people should play NL until they've played lots of limit.

And just because you have a leak in your game doesn't mean you'd be broke, games are juicy as hell right now, congratulations for being about to make a living. You're the reason i think poker is going to stay profitable, you think you're a superstar because you're beating the game when it's really easy to.

But that probably describes me too.. i'm just a 'kid' and i shouldnt be playing tournaments.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:54 AM

and just out of curiosity, did you used to live/play in Atlantic City? you sound JUST like a girl i used to play against in AC who moved out to California over a year ago and also plays for a living ...
Old 12-01-2005, 05:56 AM

alright obviously you have your opinion and its not being swayed, so why did you bother posting this to begin with?

and youre calling exitonly a total newbie who doesnt understand the game? ahahahaha

seriously if all youre going to do is call people kids when everyone so far disagrees with you (note: everyone) then why did you even post this question

its not like everyone saying "oh yea, easy call" is going to help your game
Old 12-01-2005, 06:03 AM

ok...i generally appreciate your well thought out and calm response (well except for the last part where you knocked me for being a winning player ONLY because other people are just so bad when i clearly couldn't beat "tigher" games) and all i can say is

1) your analysis is correct ONLY IN A CASH GAME and NOT a tournament. seriously think about that. in a cash game i totally agree with you. you should wait for better hands and you should steal only pots that have NOT been entered much less raised ahead of you...but in a TOURNAMENT with 1500 in chips calling 40 is IRRELAVENT. if it were 2 chips would you call? seriously, 40 tournement chips is effectively 0 chips in a TOURNAMENT with stacks that deep. so that's where i think we a) disagree or b) you just don't get the concepts of tournament poker vs cash games.

2) about your backhanded compliment of "you only win because they games are so good an idiot could beat them" let me tell you something:
- first it's much tougher to play against 8 morons at the table that don't respect raises/re-raises/position etc....i get people calling 3 bets w/ 2-7 suited and though yes, in the "long" run this is "good" for me the LONG run is really damn long...it's EASY to beat a table of 2 rocks, 3 ok players and 3 idiots but try playing in LA where 8 drunk guys want to get it in there and play bingo then try protecting your hand (creatively at times), knowing when to play what AND (this is the most important part) not letting the HUGE variance due to the bad beats crush you mentally and financially...

and

- second, a better poker player than i once said "it's my job to beat the worst players in the world and not the best"....saying that i beat the games because they are "so good" is just a compliment to my game selection...playing in a "bad", tight, try to squick out the blinds game with pros is NOT the goal of ANY pro....so thanks...i appreciate it..yes, i beat GOOD games with weaker players...thank you for the compliment [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) your analysis is correct ONLY IN A CASH GAME and NOT a tournament. seriously think about that. in a cash game i totally agree with you. you should wait for better hands and you should steal only pots that have NOT been entered much less raised ahead of you...but in a TOURNAMENT with 1500 in chips calling 40 is IRRELAVENT. if it were 2 chips would you call? seriously, 40 tournement chips is effectively 0 chips in a TOURNAMENT with stacks that deep. so that's where i think we a) disagree or b) you just don't get the concepts of tournament poker vs cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, assuming the tournament is a freezeout (instead of a rebuy), i believe it's the other way around.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
seriously, 40 tournement chips is effectively 0 chips in a TOURNAMENT with stacks that deep.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh...

[ QUOTE ]

- first it's much tougher to play against 8 morons at the table that don't respect raises/re-raises/position etc....

[/ QUOTE ]

haha ive heard this every day in some form or another
Old 12-01-2005, 06:10 AM

once again, if you READ the post from the beginning i DID NOT post the question....my boyfriend did!!! and i NEVER post to forums because you're right, i don't have any regard for random opinions from anonymous people whom i have no poker history for what-so-ever....now if ivey or the grinder posted and where like "listen, this is what i would do with my 10000 hours of experience" maybe i'd have a different reaction...

but you're right, i would NEVER Post this question because i really do not have regard for other peoples "we're all sheep with the same answer" reasoning. i'm by no means the best tournament player but i trust my ability to play a hand...and that's all i need.

so sorry...you're right...i wish the hand never got posted to begin with...i think it just made my BF feel better to get you guys to agree with him...ironically the more we write/talk about the hand the more he agrees with ME so as i said...this post was a success...we had a fight and now he agrees with me and we're happy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

so thanks guys! good night....sorry i was pissed but you would be too if you distinctly said CALL and someone folded your hand and laughed at your decision only to cost you the most crucial hand in the tournament....poker is well timed luck right? put yourself in the right place with the right cards and the right amount of chips and once in a while you'll hit something! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

bye bye
j
Old 12-01-2005, 06:12 AM

too funny...yeah, i could be "that" girl. who are you?

this is why i don't post on forums (second reason, besides not respecting anyone's opinion..ha) it's because the damn poker world it too small that people remember the 26 year old blonde chick so i can't actually get anonymity....

seriously, who are you? did i know you?

j
Old 12-01-2005, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ironically the more we write/talk about the hand the more he agrees with ME so as i said...this post was a success...we had a fight and now he agrees with me and we're happy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone else find this as funny (yet completely expected) as i do?