Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: that 'stick it in her pooper' is
funny 16 16.49%
used to be funny 36 37.11%
retarded 45 46.39%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: i hate AKs

[ QUOTE ]
sorry i meant that the blinds were 25/50
im in LP and no one else called his raise
he seems average not playin a ton of hands but not a complete rock either, average for this level
he has me covered: i have T1325 and he has T1470
one of the problems i've encountered is the flop'll come with rags or one paint and rags he checks i bet out 1/2 pot and he raises min...obviously i cant continue but this seems to happen with excessive frequency...ne ideas on what it means

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why you feel so obligated to bet the flop regardless of whether or not it hits you. You make a continuation bet if *you* were the opener PF, not if you called a raise. There's nothing wrong with checking behind on the flop or folding if he bets and the flop didn't hit you. I'd call and see a flop, then re-evaluate. You have position on the raiser and a good hand, there's no need to play it so recklessly, at least not when blinds are still 25/50 and your stack is in good shape.

All this isn't to say that I hate a push or anything. You're probably going to get called by lots of hands you have dominated in the 5s. Maybe to the point that it might be a good way to play it. But as you move up limits, the EV of pushing pre-flop when blinds are this low gets lower and lower.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol ya, because postflop play is sooooooooo important at the fivedollarlevel.
bwahahahaha

Why bother playing postflop with players that play 9Ts to the flop for 175 chips when they will also play 9Ts to the flop for 800 chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post-flop poker is especially important here because hero has (hopefully) more skill than the other players. If you have an advantage over the table, why squander it on a coin-flip? Giving an idiot a 50-50 shot to break you works in his favor, not yours.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bwahahahaha

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 09-09-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bwahahahaha

Why bother playing postflop with players that play 9Ts to the flop for 175 chips when they will also play 9Ts to the flop for 800 chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then push every time you have 99+ and A10+. If you can't beat em join em?
Old 09-09-2005, 01:46 PM

Assuming there are pretty deep stacks, I'd probably just call with position.

BUT, against the range of crap that these idiots will call pushes with PF, it's not like pushing here is terrible or anything.

BTW, I didn't answer the poll question, because there wasn't a "call and evaluate the flop" option. Why must every flop be C-bet, even if we are the pre-flop caller???
Old 09-09-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bwahahahaha

[/ QUOTE ]

Post-flop poker is especially important here because hero has (hopefully) more skill than the other players. If you have an advantage over the table, why squander it on a coin-flip?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I play $5 SNGs as well with 1500 starting stacks. I've found that there's almost no reason to risk your stack that early on (25/50 blinds) without AA or KK. Like 45 said, the longer you stick around the bigger edge you have since your skill will hopefully carry you ITM even if you don't put yourself in great position to get 1st. I've played a bunch of tourneys where I just sit back for the first 3-5 levels and watch other people f**k up and take each other out. No need to gamble for your tourney life right here.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:37 PM

I am being coy this morning.
Let me rephrase some things.

A) I dont think pushing is the best option.
B) Post flop play isnt very important at a $5 SnG in the early levels
C) Post flop play isnt very important at a $5 SnG period
D) Early play at a $5 SnG is hardly important either, so clicking autofold and fixing a snack while not paying attention to level 1-3 is still + EV at that level.

Bottom line imnsho

It doesnt matter what you do with AK in this particular situation as long as it is reasonable. You can argue till blue in the face about it... It is marginal and depends greatly on what kind of player YOU are. There is no B&W answer for the masses.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesnt matter what you do with AK in this particular situation as long as it is reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call or push in this situation, it's close. There's no clear answer. It depends on your style to some degree.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am being coy this morning.
Let me rephrase some things.

A) I dont think pushing is the best option.
B) Post flop play isnt very important at a $5 SnG in the early levels
C) Post flop play isnt very important at a $5 SnG period
D) Early play at a $5 SnG is hardly important either, so clicking autofold and fixing a snack while not paying attention to level 1-3 is still + EV at that level.

Bottom line imnsho

It doesnt matter what you do with AK in this particular situation as long as it is reasonable. You can argue till blue in the face about it... It is marginal and depends greatly on what kind of player YOU are. There is no B&W answer for the masses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. But how is a hand that is dominated only by 2 other hands (6 card combinations), marginal? It may be overplayed by many, but AK is by no means marginal. You are rarely behind if you hit the flop with it.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:27 PM

As ghetto as this post is I can't believe people are advocating just calling. Am I going crazy? This seems to be a very basic push.