Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Re: 3/6 play and leak review - please help

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is wrong. You definitely want the fish to your right so that you can manipulate them more. Isolate them with a raise pre-flop, let them call one early bet then raise so they'll pay too much for the next card, etc. Sure, you want the LAGs there too, but really, you want everyone there.

[/ QUOTE ]

...which is impossible. Read psychology of poker, it has some great advice about seat selection. Whereas it's cool to isolate fish on your right, that usually means you have someone less desireable on your left, i.e. a good player, and they'll be getting the best of you with position. Think about it, you want docile and tranquil players acting behind you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You definitely want the calling stations on your right and the tighter players to your left. You and the tighter players will not be involved in many pots together. You want to have the first opportunity to try and punish the weak players with preflop raises.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This makes no sense. You want the fish sitting to your left so that they'll cold-call your raises, but rarely reraise. Similarly, they'll keep calling and go to showdown with weak hands. It's the maniacs/LAG's that you don't want on your left.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been a couple of good threads about seat selection (see bisonbison's and Entity's). They basically say the opposite - that is, put the fish on your right. They will still call your raises whether they act first or last - probably more so when they already have money in - and you can use your raise to isolate them. Also, because they're more likely to cold call your raise, you won't be able to buy the button as often and this should be a concern for you. Throw in several other points listed in the above referenced threads and you should see it's generally better to sit to the left of the fish (and yes, I've read PoP).

Regarding LAGs though, I try to put them on my right as well so that I know when they're going to make it expensive to play my marginal hands.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

5) Isolating a loose limper only when in good position to do so (late position or tight players behind me). Too often I have raised with a marginal-to-decent hand such as KJo to isolate an EP limper, only to be 3-bet or colddonked by another player behind me. This makes postflop play more difficult.

6) Selectively semistealing from MP2 on with hands like A9s or ATo. I have done this too often without considering the types of players yet to act.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, if raising ATo from MP or isolating with KJo bothers you, you have to loosen up a little on your preflop raising standards. The 3/6 ring game is weak tight preflop. You probably also have to steal more.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This makes no sense. You want the fish sitting to your left so that they'll cold-call your raises, but rarely reraise. Similarly, they'll keep calling and go to showdown with weak hands. It's the maniacs/LAG's that you don't want on your left.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to Caro - Money flows clockwise around a poker table, due to position. Fish should be on your right.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:06 PM

That's an ad hominem fallacy. Sorry Pokerchip.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:24 PM

i thought the more aggressive the better they are on your right' i.e. tags so you know when they have a hand, or lags so you can reraise isolate and such.

passive players however, are better on your left because they will seldom reraise and usually just call, jsut as they would have anways, and when you raise with a hand, they are almost jsut a likely to call aswell.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i thought the more aggressive the better they are on your right' i.e. tags so you know when they have a hand, or lags so you can reraise isolate and such.

passive players however, are better on your left because they will seldom reraise and usually just call, jsut as they would have anways, and when you raise with a hand, they are almost jsut a likely to call aswell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Above is the answer given when someone uses reason to figure [censored] out.