Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 06:20 PM

Default Re: I need help with self control...

I think One other thing that may be hindering my game is that there are a few hands that I don't know what do do with...

Here are a couple examples I would like to ask for help on:
Do I every play JQ in early position? How about late position.
If I'm in EP, and get AQs, if I raise and get 3 bet, how do I approach this situation? What if Qxx spikes on the flop, and what if Axx flops...? I'll try to come up with more scenarios I'm unsure of as they present themselves.

Here are my stats so far from an EXTREMELY small sample... Typically for 1/2 Limit, what are basically the ideal numbers to become a winning player?

VPIP - 26.72
PFR - 9.16
W$SD - 50.00
Old 12-09-2005, 06:55 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
When I'm at my local B&M, I also seem to have the same trends, that is, I'll be up 40 BB after 2-3 hours and then lose it all back in the next 3-4 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is a limit game, and this type of swing is happening with frequency, I'm going to guess that you are playing too loose in general. In a limit game it should be rare that you swing 40BB both ways in 4 hours. Once in awhile, yes, but definitely not routine.

b
Old 12-09-2005, 07:49 PM

I meant 20 BBs.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:53 AM

After about 500 hands of 1/2, my stats are:
VPIP - 29.90
PFR - 10.31
WSF - 38.46
BB/100 - 1.56

The BB/100 is very low, but I guess that's what I'm trying to improve right? How do the rest of the stats look though?
Old 12-10-2005, 01:59 AM

I used to have a similar issue. Turned out I was making the huge mistake of playing more hands since I had more money. You may be past this but if not, make sure that's not the source of your leak.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:55 AM

How are these numbers after the 1000 hands I'm allowed:
VPIP: 30.30
PFR: 9.40
W$SD: 38.88

BB/100: 2.54

EDIT: After looking through PT a little I found something very striking. The profit in positions chart is really strange. In position 1, I have extremely high profits, while I have actually lost quite a bit on the button. The SB is by far my biggest money loser. Based on this extra information, (even though its only for about 100 hands per position,) is there anyway to get a better idea on how I could improve my game?
Old 12-13-2005, 01:29 AM

This is weird. You have the EXACT same problem as my friend. He plays No Limit with us but when he plays online, he's plays Limit. He wins a crap load of money in the beginning of the week then ends up losing everything later on the week on one night! He finally deleted it off his computer therefore he doesn't play it anymore. Solution, COLD TURKEY.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:53 AM

As a poker youngin' myself, I want to confirm the power of uncleshady's advice: quit a winner a few times, and you'll see your overall game confidence SOAR.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How are these numbers

[/ QUOTE ]
Not good!

Read SSHE. Start reading posting in micros. Get your VP$IP down to around 16-17%. Learn how to play that small range of hands after the flop. Go on from there....

Good Luck!
Old 12-13-2005, 03:58 PM

crunchy, I have had a fairly strange skew in hands that I have received in this small sample. I had Aks a total of 8 times, Aces 14 times, and Kings 12 times. I do have one question though. In a game where I can be assured that 4 people will see the flop MOST of the time, I am playing hands like K10s, J10s, even Q10s if I'm in late position. Another example I have is, I will raise AJs if im in LP, and there are only one or two limpers ahead of me. Are these plays reasonable?

I have read other books with limit sections, but I could certainly use a rudimentary method while I'm still learning the game. I am going to purchase PT and start a much larger DB before I post results again. In the past, all my preflop plays have been about 25% in each session that I play. This includes the blind hands, so I really don't see much of a way to eliminate any other hands.

Oh, one other quick question about hands and position. If I'm dealt KQ offsuit UTG, do I want to raise here? Is it acceptable to raise AJs in early position, and is re-raising with AQ EVER a possibility?

Thanks all for your help.