Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Re: The Nuts and a tough 2/4 river decision

I dont see SB having a straight and laying to the river. Some many hands will value bet that river with the Ad turn card. SB must have hand something like QJ or KQ or even A9. Something he thought he could outplay you on the flop if you raised preflop with a pair or AK.

Bet that turn! Turn play is crucial HE. I'd be happy to get a big bet into the pot on the turn. Your hand is a monster on this turn, no way a set or a straight would check the turn on a draw heavy board, your hand is golden, make some dough with it.

River I bet probably make it an even 50 over BBs bet. Just enough to induce a call from someone who hit the river or has a Q.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet that turn! Turn play is crucial HE.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a 3-way pot, tho. Or does HE mean "Hold 'Em"?
Old 08-08-2005, 12:20 PM

The point is marlow, although you should be suspicious about the SB's hand, against the range of hands that you're up against and with the pot at 100, any hand you bet and get then get raised by is blowing you out of the pot and with a hand this live, that isnt something you want. So, if you have a good reason to take a free card, do it. If this pot was smaller, bet your hand as you are ahead most of the time and you dont mind building a bigger pot in position and having your oppenant taking the lead by betting.

River play: i guess now your main concern should be the BB since after the SB check's twice, it doesnt look like hes going to be on the hand. So, why not just make it 60. If you lose equity if he has a lower flush fine, but given your hand and his horrible bet, passive nature, hes more likely weak.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't see the point of a raise on the flop. There are way too many possible hands that SB is reraising with, especially because the board is so scary, and he'll seek to protect his hand. And I really hate being all-in here. So it looks like we agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing wrong with getting allin with an AK-high flush draw. Granted, this board makes a straight possible, and you're a huge dog if opponent happens to have the monster under the bed, but most of the time you're the odds-on favorite with a draw this big, and putting pressure on your opponents is a good way to win the money in NL hold'em.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really don't see the point of a raise on the flop. There are way too many possible hands that SB is reraising with, especially because the board is so scary, and he'll seek to protect his hand. And I really hate being all-in here. So it looks like we agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing wrong with getting allin with an AK-high flush draw. Granted, this board makes a straight possible, and you're a huge dog if opponent happens to have the monster under the bed, but most of the time you're the odds-on favorite with a draw this big, and putting pressure on your opponents is a good way to win the money in NL hold'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's heads-up I'll raise 100% of the time. But because I'm facing 2 opponents here, I'm thinking that it's highly unlikely that a reraise will chase both players out. I like the raise much better if I think that there's a chance I can take it down right then and there (that is, give me another way to win). But in this situation, it seemed doubtful. And that's why I checked.

Question: is it still +EV to reraise in this situation even if I'm almost completely sure that I get at least 1 caller (who could either have a draw, or be made with the str8)?

Marlow
Old 08-08-2005, 04:38 PM

All in would be a monster overbet, and if SB re-raises, I think our pair outs are dead.