Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2004, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Lost most of my stack on this one. Help Please!

I bet this flop almost always unless the villain is hyper aggressive. One reason I bet it is that if I raised from the sb is that I am leading here with hands like TT and AQ, too. I think you have to apply pressure on flops like this if you put in the last raise pre flop and are out of position. If you missed the flop, and get raised you can drop the hand, not many players are capable of bluff raising a flop like this when the pre-flop aggressor bets out (unless the pre flop aggressor has been playing a lot of hands recently, then they may play back with nothing).
Old 12-09-2004, 09:59 PM

Oh, if I try to get tricky on the flop by checking I lose all my chips here too without a very good read.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:14 PM

My thinking was

"He raised preflop from earlyish, therefore he must have a high pocket of two high cards. He likely reraises preflop with KK or AA. Also, KK and AA are less likely given I have AK and a K is on the board. Therefore I am most likely ahead. He has raised preflop, and most of the time if I check he will take a stab at the pot, so I can C/R him to get some more dough. Hmm, he checks behind so he is probably scared of the King.

Well, no point in slowplaying till the end, I only have TPTK after all, lets knock out a bet. Hmm he has gone all in. Perhaps he has AK also and was trying to trap me on the flop. Maybe he is some fish with KQ trying to 'trap'. Perhaps he thinks that I am bluffing as his flop check showed weakness and is thus pushing with QQ~99. In any case, I don't think I'm behind, so call".
Old 12-09-2004, 10:27 PM

UH you think QQ just smooth calls after being reraised here?? Play online is bad not this bad usually. K10 calls this reraise?? I hope not. KQ even is an auto muck preflop there but yes there are some donkeys who would call I suppose. The real problem is not betting out on the flop. If the guy calls with a pair for set value I guess he is gonna break you here...thems the breaks. If you dont like risking getting broken by a pp dont reraise or reraise even more. Sounds ridiculous but unfortunately play is just THAT bad at times online.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:31 PM

Bet the flop so he doesnīt get a free card. Whatever he does I think you should get as many chips as possible into this pot.

After your reraise preflop this check is just so weird in your opponents eyes. Itīs better to bet out cause that looks weaker and he maybe tries to put a move on you with QQ-TT.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:01 PM

You should have bet the flop.

On the turn the villian told you I do not fear top pair.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:36 PM

The bottom line is this as I see it:

I'm somewhat of a rookie, but already I've gotten busted slow playing TPTK many times. If you bet anything but the minimum after the flop, he'd have to fold his massive underpair. If he calls you, then he didn't understand pot odds, or read your play as a steal. But at least you could complain about a bad beat instead of what happened. So bottom line, should've bet after the flop, it's a pretty good pot that I'm sure anyone would like to rake in with one pair.

Nez
Old 12-09-2004, 11:47 PM

if called by pocket pair, you win 45%, it could be aq, aj, of which you win 70%, it could also be aa, kk, of which you take your loses. the opponent will also fold more than 1/2 the time.

is it really that bad?

damnRiver
Old 12-09-2004, 11:56 PM

First and most important, bet the flop.

But since you don't do that, what do you put him on when he reraises all in on the turn? I'd put him on either pocket 5s (most likely), either a big King (AK, KQ, KJ or middle pocket pair and he thinks you missed the flop), a straight or K5s, 45s, 65s (very unlikely). A bluff seems unlikely at this point in the tournament for all his chips. If you'd bet the turn, he'd either have folded or called with a King. If he called, you could be pretty sure you were winning on the turn 5 and make the call. But, since you have no clue what he is playing with, your best bet is to not bet a large portion of your stack early in the tournament and fold.

Just understand not betting the flop makes this a very difficult situation.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if called by pocket pair, you win 45%, it could be aq, aj, of which you win 70%, it could also be aa, kk, of which you take your loses. the opponent will also fold more than 1/2 the time.

is it really that bad?

damnRiver

[/ QUOTE ]
If you are in a loose enough game where people will call 40BB with AQ or AJ, then it probably is profitable. But with the pot so small at this point, i think you will only get called when you are a dog.

If there were more money in the pot, say 500, I would like the play.