Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Re: The Honesty and Bankroll Thread

[ QUOTE ]

if you play at the smaller end of the SSNL spectrum, bonuses can add an enourmous chunk to your roll very quickly and i think they definetly let you play above your roll faster / play underrolled. i definetly agree on this one

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how a bonus can help you play underrolled.

It can certainly help you BUILD a roll, but I wouldn't use a bonus as an excuse to play too high...
Old 08-04-2005, 11:09 AM

poker is a game of balancing risks, its up for everyone to decide. there is no perfect answer, yours is a good point.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is off-topic, but why do you say that 5/10 is probably the highest you'll ever play regularly online?

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm, few reasons:

- i have not the time/dedication/lifestyle/future career needed to study and play enough to really crush bigger games or even make trying +EV

- the amount of money i'm making right now is obscene

- until i own a house outright, have no med school debt and $1M in the bank, i don't think i have the psychological BR to play much higher

- my winrate at 5/10 is great over a (now) fairly large sample size. I can't say i'd even beat party 10/20, though i think i could if i studied hard at it. bottom line, i'd probably still make less.

besides, if imuna play bigger, i want free food to go with at HP or commerce or LC. big live big bet is just so much more fun.

fim
Old 08-04-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't see how a bonus can help you play underrolled.

[/ QUOTE ]

depositing 400 and whoring $100 and $200 reloads i'd have no worries playing 100NL. flat putting that into party and playing with no rakeback or bonus makes 50NL much more attractive.

fim
Old 08-04-2005, 11:48 AM

you can play underrolled (not grossly underrolled) because good bonuses can greatly increase your winrate to the point where its very hard to have a losing day. unlocking the bonuses can absord all of your small losses, even some big ones so you don't need as large a cushion.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:15 PM

I run bad a lot. I'm currently on 20 buyins, but just cashed out down to 15 buyins.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I run bad a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

We all know about the obvious distribution of cards... bad run, good run, whatever...

... well, just as obvious but often overlooked is the existence of this phenomenon one level removed from the typical notion of "cold" vs. "hot" runs of cards. Call it the first derivative of luck, meta-luck, whatever you want.... but I know people who have never truly "run bad", and I know people who have bad runs every couple of months.

I'm not describing some superstitious "luck" concept here, only that just as you can go 1k hands without seeing AA, you can go 50k hands without "running good" for a single batch.

In other words, when you say that you run bad a lot, I believe you.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:21 PM

Isn't there an important distinction between your real bankroll and the amount of money you happen to have deposited in your account at the moment? People seem to be talking about these things interchangably to some extent.

If you decide to deposit $500 into party and play NL100, you are in some senses under-rolled. But if you broke and then buy in for another $500 then in reality your initial bankroll was $1000, but you only deposited half of it on day one.

Isn't a better definition of bankroll "the amount of money that your are willing to lose before you give up poker for ever"? It doesn't matter if you deposit this amount on day one, or deposit it one buy-in at a time. It's with this definition that ROR takes on a real meaning, and appropriate BR management is essential.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't a better definition of bankroll "the amount of money that your are willing to lose before you give up poker for ever"?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes it is. Or at least 'for a while' even if you can wait until next month's paycheck or something and deposit again.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:44 PM

" but honestly almost nobody plays SSNL for a living and those who do are obviously much better BR'd than that. "

I thought there were quit a few, or at least quit a few who made a large enough BB/100 to be able to.

I live with my parents helping them with their businesses (Horse stable, and Custom Cabinet Shop) so poker, in my mind, has always been a perfect source of side-income. I know not very many adults (i'm only 21) have such acomidating lifestyle for playing poker, but i'm sure there are quit a few.

I too made the bankroll mistake a number of times before coming here and learning the not so obvious lesson of 20x.