Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Re: TPMK river decision, 2/4 party full table

Because people do that sometimes. It would not be at all impossible for villain to have, say, AQ here. Particularly if he had a backdoor flush draw to go with his backdoor straight draw, overcard, potentially good queen outs, potentially best hand, and potentialy to win the pot by bluffing later in the hand.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With the turned flush draw, I bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I definitely check with the turned flush draw. Why let him c/r you off it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet the turn here. What would Hero do here if he had AK? He would raise preflop, bet the flop and bet the turn. Villian pretty much has to fold if he can't beat a pair of kings, as that is what you are clearly representing to him. He may look you up once with a middle pp, but would probably give it up after a turn bet. This is a perfect opportunity to fire the second bullet after a continuation bet. I would bet out here any spade, king, or ace.

If you make a lot of continuation bets (which I do), you have to find spots like these to fire the second bullet. It's effective if used sparingly, and if you pick the right spots. I had a similar hand today where I openraised in the CO with A9. SB called me. I play with him often and he told me after the hand that he had TT. Flop came K34r. He checked and I made a continuation bet, which he called. When another K came on the turn, he checked, I bet again 2/3 pot and he folded his tens. That king was a perfect card to fire the sencond bullet with.

Here in Hero's hand, villian can really only c/r us if he has 3x or 44 or KK. If he does c/r us, well we have to fold. And we miss that 20% opportunity we had to catch a flush on the river, which is beat by two of the three hands that villian would checkraise us with anyway, and we get off cheaply. He's laying down middle pocket pairs here most of the time, and that's a hand we want to get him off of. If he calls with a bare king, we still have a chance to make a nice chunk of change if we hit our flush on the river, or our ace might be good there also.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet the turn here. What would Hero do here if he had AK? He would raise preflop, bet the flop and bet the turn. Villian pretty much has to fold if he can't beat a pair of kings, as that is what you are clearly representing to him. He may look you up once with a middle pp, but would probably give it up after a turn bet. This is a perfect opportunity to fire the second bullet after a continuation bet. I would bet out here any spade, king, or ace.

If you make a lot of continuation bets (which I do), you have to find spots like these to fire the second bullet. It's effective if used sparingly, and if you pick the right spots. I had a similar hand today where I openraised in the CO with A9. SB called me. I play with him often and he told me after the hand that he had TT. Flop came K34r. He checked and I made a continuation bet, which he called. When another K came on the turn, he checked, I bet again 2/3 pot and he folded his tens. That king was a perfect card to fire the sencond bullet with.

Here in Hero's hand, villian can really only c/r us if he has 3x or 44 or KK. If he does c/r us, well we have to fold. And we miss that 20% opportunity we had to catch a flush on the river, which is beat by two of the three hands that villian would checkraise us with anyway, and we get off cheaply. He's laying down middle pocket pairs here most of the time, and that's a hand we want to get him off of. If he calls with a bare king, we still have a chance to make a nice chunk of change if we hit our flush on the river, or our ace might be good there also.

[/ QUOTE ]

i actually check AK on the turn quite often here, but your point is well taken. do others also believe that typical sb villains need trips or better to put in a check-raise on the turn? if that is true, firing again seems much more attractive.

wrt this specific hand, i have a hard time believing that villain is making that river bet if he did have a middle pair, so i'm not sure checking there cost me anything.

in general, i am of course making my share of continuation bets when i miss the flop. firing second barrels can get pretty expensive, though. i don't like to make them unless i have a pretty good reason for it.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. Got postitions mixed up.