Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: KQo, implied odds enough to call the turn?

Yea call the flop, 1.5 outs for each over and then 1.5 outs for you backdoor straight draw is a total of 4.5 outs which is about a 10% or 1:9 to hit on the turn, you are getting enough implied odds to call this in my opinion. If you were to act after the original better then a raise would proboly be much better play...but then again there are still a lot of players yet to act so i dunno about that, depends on reads of the players.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:35 PM

Is it a raise or fold situation on the flop? If you call, everybody else gets 16+:1 to overcall. Top pair is not likely to hold up against a large field, but it might if you could thin the field a bit.

I think it would be a easy raise if you were first to act after the flop bettor. Does the call after the flop bettor make any difference? I remember reading something in SSHE about picking your spots to overcall very carefully.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:25 PM

The more I look at the hand the more I like raising on the flop, you will buy the button first of all, the board is so ragged that your overcards will most likely be good if you hit, and you will buy yourself a free card.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:42 PM

I like a raise on the flop as well. Your PF raise and additional flop raise will likely get CO and/or Button to fold, possibly buying you the button. A free turn card would be an additional reason for raising.

I'm not sure why you think your overs are only with 1.5 outs each. I would think hitting either would give you the best hand.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on man, you know this is irrelavent. Pot size is what matters here, not how much i've put in. Does this change things for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case it does, because if the pot is this big and I've only put that little bit in, there's other players hanging around for some reason. So, I'm already behind and the pot isn't giving me the right odds to continue, I'm out.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure why you think your overs are only with 1.5 outs each. I would think hitting either would give you the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] improve a flush draw, and any K or Q improve a straight draw. Not to mention that you could be dominated by somebody slow-playing AK or AQ, or reverse-dominated by somebody playing KJ or QJ.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:15 PM

So it seems the general consensus was raise the flop in hopes of limiting the field a bit/buying the button and possible free card?

Man, hate to say this, but I never really even considered that. Like everyone said, if the flop bettor was on my right, raise for sure, but when the bet came to me, 3 or 4 others had already called, so I didn't even think to raise to limit the field. Thanks for the help guys. I think with the pot as big as it was, a raise was definately right here. Geez, and all I was thinking was "call or fold." I'm such a putz...
Old 04-01-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So it seems the general consensus was raise the flop in hopes of limiting the field a bit/buying the button and possible free card?

Man, hate to say this, but I never really even considered that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good, because I don't think raising the flop is correct. You mention three reasons above for possibly raising, although:

1) Why do you want to want to put in an extra bet on this flop (risking a three-bet from the SB) in order to try to knock out the CO and Button? It's not like you're cleaning up outs, unless you think either of them coldcalled preflop with a hand like Q7 or K5 and will fold to your raise. In fact, since they both coldcalled PF, I can't imagine them folding any hand that you actually would want them to fold.

2) I don't think that attempting to "buy the button" makes sense here, since you're essentially on an overcard draw that may not even be good if it hits. And why do you care so much on this board if two players are behind you?

3) Trying for a free card is the only reason I would raise the flop, but with such a large field, such a poor flop for our cards, and the possibility that SB might think we are FOS and three-bet, I'll simply peel one off on the flop and see what the turn brings.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:04 PM

I would call the flop, and fold turn UI. Just personally, I tend to go too far with overs and end up losing a BB or two chasing too much, so I've tried to change up my play and tighten up/let go of overs in situations like this.

If you manage to hit your over, I think you should still play conservatively. With so many people in the pot, I think there is a pretty decent chance you're behind something like raggy 2 pair or reverse dominated. I don't think raising if you hit an over and SB bets will do anything but hurt you -- those who are ahead will call and those who are behind will fold.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:25 PM

The money that you have put in, is not yours anymore. Dont even consider how much you have invested just look at the size of the pot.