Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2004, 06:11 PM

Default Re: my thoughts on turning pro

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In a way, America's huge size and isolation -- being bordered by only two countries -- really stifles the amount of information flow we have with the rest of the world, and our exposure to different people and ways of thinking and living.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a geography issue. The problem is that so many people in the world still refuse to speak American. Just have a coversation with a Brit: their stories all start with "The last time I went on holiday I left my flat and put my bag in the boot of car and drove to the petrol station...". Gibberish.

Get the with program! Don't make us imperialize you!

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Every time I have a smoke at work, this British guy asks me if I have an extra man of the homosexual persuasion. It's kind of weird.
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2004, 06:14 PM

YO! I HAVE THAT SHIRT! (your icon)
Old 10-07-2004, 06:22 PM

Does anyone else have thoughts on the future of online poker? Mostly in terms of the amount of fish, but also the chance of online poker becoming outlawed.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:28 PM

Default my thoughts on turning pro - DO IT NOW

"...but the time spent with family seems so appealing."

I went pro at 35 with a son aged 8. I was able to spend time with him that few dads can. I credit myself in part for his current success (4.0 gpa full scholarship college sophmore).

Family is everything that matters. You will never regret spending too much time with your kids and will forever regret the opposite.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:34 PM

You hit the nail on the head about the best part of playing poker for a living. The time I spend with my son is precious to me and i never would have the time to spend with him if i was working a regular job. He is the one thing that keeps my head right (or semiright i suppose)during bad runs.
i have had some devastating runs though and you need to know that financially and mentally you can take the ups and downs. With the responsibility of a family a big hit can lead to loss of confidence, doubt and stress like ive never felt before. When the bills come due they dont care that spirit rock drew out on you in that big pot. This sounds obvious but you should really make sure your prepared for the ups and downs.
that said the time with my son is a time in my life i will always remember fondly.
matty
Old 10-07-2004, 09:04 PM

I already heard from your post what is in your heart. I've got a 3-year old daughter, and have spent the last year with her while playing online. This is my second time around, and missed this age with my two older daughters.

I will admit there is some stress, but I'm having a great time overall. I've also gone back to school and I'll get the degree (in 18 months) I never managed to get when I married young.

In many ways I've gotten a second chance. Most people do not. Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2004, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else have thoughts on the future of online poker? Mostly in terms of the amount of fish, but also the chance of online poker becoming outlawed.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that there will always be plenty of bad/casual players coming to the games. In fact, I think the games will continue to get softer as poker becomes more mainstream. But on the legality of on-line poker???? I have no idea.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:55 PM

I had similar thoughts as yours and I was making $140k/yr as a VP with lots of equity but I said screw it and it was the best decision I've ever made.

Keep in mind if you're talking $35/hr then you're playing low limits. Your earn potential is MUCH greater as your skills (and bankroll) improve.

Perhaps wait to pull the trigger on the decision until you can beat the $5/10 or greater game for at least 2BB/100 ? Then you're not comparing $35/hr playing poker (with its variance) vs. $70k/year salary. If you get up to 15/30 then you're talking $150-250/hr and it's a no-brainer decision. The wide gap depends on how good you are and how many tables you can play.