Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Job Offer

Here's the deal: Don't work 50+ hour weeks. I never have, and I'm in an industry (programming) where many do. JUST SAY NO. It's an attitude. In this industry, there are occasional emergencies/rollouts to production web sites you are asked to do after hours/work extra. Later that week, I just say "hey, I'm leaving at 3 today because I worked late the other day." Don't ask. Just do. Make it clear that you expect comp time for working extra.

I know many think they will fall behind, etc., but I don't care. I'm not interested in management (done it, hated it). I work at a start up, so hopefully my stock options will pay off. I have never had a job where I have averaged more than, MAYBE slightly over 40 hours (i'm talking 42, tops), since I graduated college.

On to the OPs question: Have you considered consulting and /or part time for your original company? If they value your work that highly, go for it.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This should be an easy easy decision. Take the job, make 100K+ and play cards for an extra 50K.

You can't honestly be thinking of passing up a sure thing. C'mon now.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> Its a sure thing, true..... I am sure I will not be as happy as I am now, but the current environment is not guaranteed to be the same in the future </font>

[ QUOTE ]
Let's see, be at work at 8:00 vs. get up when you want to.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> This one is huge! I used to wake up at 530 and be in the office by 7 after an hour bus commute, not sure exactly what the hours would be with this, but Id assume very close as it involves trading commodity futures which start trading at 8 est. </font>

[ QUOTE ]
If you think you could get this offer again in the future if you asked then that is something to throw into the equation too.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> I doubt it, I could get something similar, but as this type of position goes, this is one of the better opportunities </font>

[ QUOTE ]
1) You don't say what the job is.. you must have some sort of an idea. Is it going to enrich your life in any way or just provide a steady income?

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> Along the lines of stock broker assistant </font>

[ QUOTE ]
2) You clearly enjoy the freedom that online poker gives you.. could you really go back to working for 'the man'

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> I certainly can, I also certainly wont like it as much as being my own boss </font>

[ QUOTE ]
3) Or, do you miss working with other people. I am making the assumption that making a living from online poker is a fairly solitary existence. I couldn't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> No biggie, I like real people, but people in the corporate world tend to be rather fake </font>

[ QUOTE ]
4) Yes, the bottom will fall out of online poker in the next couple of years, as soon as all the potential players have been cleaned out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Speculation, but def. a possibility

[ QUOTE ]
But I also LOVE the freedom entailed with poker and it makes my life about 1000% better

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> Word! </font>

[ QUOTE ]
1) Can you work 1 or 2 dasy a week from home? Try to get that in there.

3) How about flexible hours, say ... 7 am to 2. You could be home in time to moonlight 8 hours online.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> Flex anything isnt really an option </font>

[ QUOTE ]
I think you really needs to tell us what the job is.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> See Above </font>

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what the new job is, but the salary potential of those places is huge after a couple years at a real position. I also seem to recall that your old job had something to do with the trading floor, which has reasonable hours. If the new one is along those lines (I'm assuming that its a step up, otherwise you wouldn't be asking), then I'd guess the hours are bearable.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> Yes, if there wasnt the potential for a lot of money I would surely not even have a dilema. Also, while the hours are not too bad, I have to factor in about 3 hours a day commuting, and it is also an early start as we would not only be trading the equity markets </font>
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you have much to lose by taking the job if you're still pretty young.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> Any time you give up being your own boss, and the ability to work whenever you want, to go work for the man you are giving up a lot, the question is rather.... What wwill I be gaining? </font>
Old 09-13-2005, 08:21 PM

A stock broker's assistant makes over $100,000 in New York City? Wow. Our assistant's must be working for the wrong firm!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A stock broker's assistant makes over $100,000 in New York City? Wow. Our assistant's must be working for the wrong firm!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It varies greatly btwn firms and brokers, this is a top broker at a top 5 firm. They do HUGE business, and assistants tend to get paid well with the big producers
Old 09-13-2005, 10:10 PM

but $100k in NYC isn't that much. My 72.5K in middle america (OK), the salary calcs show I need to earn $135K in NYC to rent, $235k to own.. ouch.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:16 AM

Just a couple of notes.

This is a similar job to the one I did the last year I was working at the company.....it was not nearly as bad as the job I did on a trading desk the first 4 years I was there.

I love poker, but I can go without playing 8 hours a day. My question isnt "How will I get my fix?" But rather "What is the best long term option for me factoring in earn rate and quality of life?"

Either way...... interview is this afternoon...... We'll see what happens [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

......Thx for all the input
Old 09-14-2005, 09:23 AM

Ask for $200K. Trade at $150-$175. or whatever.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:20 AM

DV - Just do whatever you think is going to make you the happiest. The extra money won't mean much if you're miserable all day.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:27 PM

You won't be doing 100k/year from poker forever. At least not for certain.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:37 PM

maybe more, maybe less.....cant know for sure