Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Heads-Up and Short-Handed Forum FAQ
I support an FAQ that addresses posting guidelines and etiquette, but not strategy or technical topics like Variance or PokerTracker Stats. 8 30.77%
I support an FAQ that addresses posting guidelines and etiquette and also includes strategy or technical topics like Variance or PokerTracker Stats. 16 61.54%
I do not support an FAQ. 0 0%
I have no opinion on an FAQ for this forum. 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: AJo and KQo UTG

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you can play them both very well you never lose much by folding them. My order of preference is usually fold, call, and rarely raise, with these hands.

Mike Emery

[/ QUOTE ]

on an average action basis for me its:

1) raise

2) fold

3) call.

the space denotes the fact that its not really close.

-Barron
Old 04-14-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Correction

According to PT i do limp KQo and AJo occasionally.

its in loose not too aggressive games. so the call moves up a bit but i still raise more than call or fold and i actually call more than i fold...again, apparantly i dont fold these hands much.

-Barron
Old 04-14-2005, 01:29 PM

I found the thread.

The Last Time We Covered KQo and AJo
Old 04-19-2005, 10:27 AM

I'm sorry, I was away the whole weekend and I completely forgot about this post. It seems most of you raise or fold KQo and AJo with raising being the sleight favorite. Thanks Barry for digging that old AJo thread up and all the others for their input.

Thanks,

Guido
Old 04-19-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Domination

Thanks Peter,

As usual great posts. I hope you are doing well.

Guido
Old 04-19-2005, 10:32 AM

IMO, if you're not at least moderately comfortable with the idea of raising AJo or KQo UTG, you're probably in the wrong hold 'em game.

I've always raised AJo and KQo from any position. I was just wondering if this strategy was still best at 15/30. I've never played 30/60.

Thanks,

Guido
Old 04-19-2005, 12:03 PM

"IMO, if you're not at least moderately comfortable with the idea of raising AJo or KQo UTG, you're probably in the wrong hold 'em game. "

Too simple, IMHO.

There are online $50/100 and $100/200 ring-games that can be beat for significant $$ where both KQo and AJo is completely uninteresting hands UTG. It's not about being uncomfortable, it's about not being bothered with playing marginal semi-trash completely out of position with several strong players behind.

It's about these hands being breakeven at very best from UTG in these games.

And yes, I am talking about possibly high-profitable games, but where there perhaps are two weak/loose players and the rest of the lineup is between good-to-very good and will punish players coming in with hands like these from UTG quite considerably.

Lets once and for all get past this "if AJo and KQo ain't playable UTG, the game is not playable" stage please.

lars
Old 04-19-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LIMPING kqo utg, however, is just not something i do

[/ QUOTE ]

I noted your correction, and I'm keeping that in mind as I write this.

I'm wondering why exactly everybody likes raising with a hand that will likely only be called by something better, or 3 bet by something that has you dominated. I read Peter's post, and it was great as always, but I'm still left a little confused (it happens all the time).

As a general rule I want people that are in a pot against me to have hands inferior to mine. If I have KQo, those hands include other unsuited broadway cards (almost exclusively). By raising UTG I'm encouraging all of those types of hands to fold (I'm assuming we are in a normal game, with a few bad player) and I'm encouraging all of the medium to big aces and PP's to 3 bet me.

I habitually limp w/ KQ and AJ UTG in a decent-mediocre game as it doesn't give much info about my hand away, and it encourages others with inferior hands to come along as well. If i'm in a super tight game these are both auto-raising hands, but in games where several of the players will call w/ KJ or KTo for one bet, but not for two, I just don't understand the value in raising. Can somebody please help me see what I'm missing?

lf
Old 04-19-2005, 02:45 PM

yes.

you are giving the blinds a free/cheap shot at a flop w/ hands they'd fold to your raise.

you are not taking into account the times an ace falls off on a raggity board after being cold called and you bet and take the pot if nobody has an ace (and they have a pair that you'd be unable to get them off of if you limped and they limped bheind you)

-Barron
Old 04-19-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, if you're not at least moderately comfortable with the idea of raising AJo or KQo UTG, you're probably in the wrong hold 'em game.

I've always raised AJo and KQo from any position. I was just wondering if this strategy was still best at 15/30. I've never played 30/60.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guido,

You missed Nate's point, 10/20 SH, 15/30, 30/60, 2/4....it's

HOLD'EM you are playing right?

Peace,
Joe Tall