Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Profitability of SnGs

[ QUOTE ]
Extrapolate this to the $55s. The profitability of them is about $12.50/hr (per table) with the same ROI assumed before. This is like playing $3/$6 limit for a profitability of just over 2 BB/100 - which I would think is much easier - limit games don't start getting tough until $5/$10. But then maybe SnGs don't start getting tough until $109?

[/ QUOTE ]

A few problems with your assumptions.

a) a 20% ROI at the 50s is quite difficult to achieve. Maybe the top 10% of 2+2ers playing the 50s or higher can do it (and I think that number is high).

b) $12.50 one tabling is about 2BB/hour not /100 ... there are about 60 hand/hour so this is much closer to 3.5BB/100 which is probably doable by a great player but extremely difficult.

Of course these 2 errors probably cancel out a bit, but I'd also suggest that the 50s are a slightly bigger game than 3/6 considering the usual suggested BR requirements.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:36 AM

A few things:

1) Limit seems much harder to multitable than SNGs. In SNGs, many decisions are automatic and very easy. You're also, especially on Party, involved in relatively very few postflop hands. Postflop hands are what take up lots of time.

2) In limit, steals are very tough because you're involved postflop with an often mediocre hand. In a SNG, you're usually just dragging the bar over and pressing All In.

3) One issue with SNGs is that reads are much tougher, especially when multitabling. You only have a few hands to get a read on a player, whereas at limit you may be playing with someone for hours.

4) 3-6 seems to be fairly equivalent to 50 SNGs in terms of hourly rate (about $8 each for a solid player). However, I think the variance and bankroll requirements for 3-6 are both worse.

5) SNGs, at least for me, are much more fun. Also, when a bad beat comes around, you lose your buyin, not 10 big bets!
Old 06-06-2005, 01:42 AM

i make 200$/hr at SnG's on average... I don't really want to even consider the absurd amount of variance i'd have to deal with to make that in cash games
Old 06-06-2005, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I switched to SnGs because limit was as exciting as watching paint dry.

[/ QUOTE ]

My feelings exactly.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i make 200$/hr at SnG's on average... I don't really want to even consider the absurd amount of variance i'd have to deal with to make that in cash games

[/ QUOTE ]

that's sick..
Old 06-06-2005, 01:54 AM

at what level and how many tables?

and i think this claim ranges from highly unlikely to impossible at any level below 215s and then it would just be very hard
Old 06-06-2005, 02:07 AM

So after two bad beats for most of my stack I think I'm going to go back to tourneys for awhile. I felt like it was impossible to get lots of chips in the middle and even when I did I would get drawn out on. KK vs. 55, he flops a set. QQ all in on a JTxx turn, he has KQ river is A. I flop a flush with 75h in the BB, flop is 234h. I bet the flop, pot is pretty large on the turn and he calls a 3/4 bet with Ah2x, river is 9h and I can't not pay off (check/call) his last few chips when the pot is so big.

In an SnG, you can be tight in the beginning and pick your spots, and then build your stack when the blinds get big. In ring, the blinds never get big, and you have to get paid off a few dollars at a time in small pots without picking the wrong spot and getting your whole stack picked off. At least that's how it is on Stars.

So much for my excursion into ring...
Old 06-06-2005, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
at what level and how many tables?

and i think this claim ranges from highly unlikely to impossible at any level below 215s and then it would just be very hard

[/ QUOTE ]

At $215's its DEFINITELY possible.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:30 AM

hearing that from you just makes me want to play more and more to get better and build the BR, because i think i speak for everyone when i say i want to make 200/hr, I've been at about 30/hr so far this summer at the 10s-30s. I would cry if i even made 75-100
Old 06-06-2005, 02:46 AM

You're not comparing them the right way. You should be looking at the BR needed. For the BR to play 3/6 you could play the $55s. 8 tabling 3/6 for 1.5bb/hr/table is $72 an hr. If you were 8tabling $55s, you'd only need to hit 9% ROI to achieve the same result. I imagine 9% ROI at $55s is easier than 3bb/100 at 3/6.