Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 10:31 AM

Default Re: I guess 6 max limit really does have high variance....

[ QUOTE ]
I'm with you. I guess I use 50BB as a barometer for when I think I am not a favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]
This isn't nearly enough IMO

I sit with 50BB to start. I can't even count the number of times I have had to reload at a table where I know I'm a favorite.

It's gotta be about my 2nd reload where I'll START to consider that MAYBE I'm tilting away money and thus no longer a favorite at that point.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:39 AM

I sit with 25-50 BB at a table. I often have to rebuy when I sit with 25 however I don't often lose 50bb at a single table if I am a favourite.

I have infrequent downswings of 100BB, however a 25-50BB downswing is quite frequent.

True
Old 12-22-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't nearly enough IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good info, thanks. As I move up in levels I will probably have to do this. Currently I am playing at .5/1 6-max. I usually choose tables with pretty low avg. pots (3-5 BB) which usually means I'm up against fairly passive players and haven't had to dip into more than 50BB a couple of times. I also play purposely short sessions (wife, 2 kids, etc.). I can appreciate what your saying, when I have played live (8-12 hr sessions) I wouldn't think of sitting down with less a 50BB buy-in and another 50 ready to go.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:49 AM

I like to think that I do not tilt too much but in truth the times I do usually cost me and do turn a 50bb seesion loss into a 75bb one. You know how it is, you are focused, playing well but just getting run over by all the chasers. You just lose on the river again to a guy who had nothing on the flop but 2 under-cards and backdoor straight which he caught to bust your aces. You do not openly tilt but you tilt all the same. The next hand you have 89s UTG and limp when you should fold. It gets raised and you have to call. On the flop you hit middle pair and end up having to call 2 more to see the turn. Once the turn misses you and you are faced with 2 more cold for the river you finally give it up. You have just spent 3 more BB that had you folded pre-flop like you should have would not have been lost. Just think how many hands like this you will end up playing trying to make a recovery for the day, then you will realise why bad days often get a lot worse before they get better.

What I try and do if I am in a cold spell and taking a lot of beats is to actually tighten up and play less hands. There is no point going to war with the table if you are not hitting anything. Also never be afraid to leave a table a long way down. I used to hate leaving a table if I was stuck for a good chunk of my buy-in even if the table had got bad. I still hate it but am getting much better at it, cause for one a new table may have great cards just waiting for you, and even if it does not you concentrate so much on the play that you soon forget about the bad table you left behind.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:53 AM

How many hands is this over? 100 BB in a day definitely happens. Sometimes it is avoidable and sometimes not. If you find it's frequent, then you might want to either scale back # of tables or work on your game a bit more.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:03 PM

Default After reviewing my session

Thanks for all the help from everyone. After reviewing my session, I found that perhaps 30 out of 100 BBs were lost due to me getting aggrevated and beginning to spew chips. There were some ugly rivers in there, but I noticed after 3 ugly rivers in a row, I was raising w A6o in MP. (donk) and then "value betting" my ace on the turn.

I am trying to figure out how to post hands so I can put a couple up for review. hopefully soon.