Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Profit Potential - Convincing dad that poker isnt so bad

[ QUOTE ]
Im 16, Im in the phase where my dad wants me to do my homework instead of playing poker. I think making +100 dollars in the 109s is kinda tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm turning 16 in 2 months
Old 04-09-2005, 02:04 PM

$80/hr?
Old 04-09-2005, 02:05 PM

POker doesn't have to the mutually exclusive event. Many college students work fulltime to pay for school and go to school fulltime. Both can be done. There is an inherent oppurtunity cost to your time, no doubt. But if Partypoker some how collapes or something doesn't work out, you'll less willing to go to school rather than doing it during this poker boom and then falling back on real work. I like you hope this never ends, I can buy so much junk.

This boom reminds me of a friend who dropped out of college during the boom to take a $75/hr job at Kodak. He's back in school now. So bottom line here is... be ready to go back to school. But what we have that my friend at Kodak here.... we set our own hours!
Old 04-09-2005, 02:06 PM

lol, do u play the 109s right now??!! I hardly play the 10s.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:06 PM

Where do you get 28% rakeback? I made an affiliate account at party poker so I don't have to split the profit with anyone, but I only get 20% back. I'd have to 4-table the 33s continuously for 140 hours per week in order to move up to 25% [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].
Old 04-09-2005, 02:10 PM

If you're smart enough to 8 table 109s for 100K a year you probably could be earning tons more money in a real career. Sure, 100K a year is great out of college, but you don't get an assured raise, health care, etc. Plus the boom might end and you might be looking at 70K. And there is little hope for moving up, at least when compared to a real career. Plus, playing internet poker is not much fun 40 hrs a week for the rest of your life. For me poker is a sweet part time thing, it's tons of fun, it's intellectually stimulating and I make more money at it than at anything else I could be doing right now. So it is great short term, but not long term.

The only way to convince your parents that poker is +EV is to consistently put money in the bank. You'll probably never convince them it's a good life plan, since it isn't. What would you say if you were paying money to send you kid to school but he didn't take advantage of that? I'd be pissed.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:14 PM

I would decide to play poker for a living if I knew that the 33s are going to be there in 10 or 20 years time, living in Chile has the major advanatge that you can live very decently ( on ur own ) with $12000 a year. Chile has the major drawback that a job like cleaning windows 12 hrs a day luckily pays $4000 a year
Old 04-09-2005, 02:18 PM

u sound like a 42 year-old, sadly old ppl are correct almost all the time.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:04 PM

raptor, I'm not sure what your intentions are with regards to this post, but my intuition tells me that you're proposing to your Dad, that you prefer to postpone college.

If my intuition is correct, I think you will regret that decision. Furthermore, I'm confident you could play poker 30 hours a week, and still attend school with the minimum full time credits. Even though you're nineteen, you're going to miss some life experiences that are very special to being in college at that age. Experiences I had no interest in repeating at age 22 or 23.

When I reflect back on my college days, I wish I had poker available to me. I had unbelievable amounts of free time.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$80/hr?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do the math... 10% roi 6 tables per hour on average (4 tabling)

= $10.90 x 6 = 65.4 + 2.43 x 6 = (65.4 + 14.58) = 79.98

So no, you can't make 80 bucks and hour!