Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Re: K9s and KT

[ QUOTE ]
"I got off to a very good start at this level, and it seems over the last 2 weeks I am either barely winning or losing big in every session I play and my confidence in my own abilities is a bit shaken."

I had the same thing happen. I won about $300 playin' .5/1 at party in the first week. Then for the next three weeks I was just breaking even. When I look back at what changed, it was because I got cocky and started playin too many hands. I saw that I was winning pretty easily and that they played [censored] hands so I thought I was good enough to play [censored] hands too and still win. Now I know I'm not good enough to play [censored] hands and I'm playin solid starting hands in the right positions and working on my post flop play/reading players.

It took me playing enough borderline hands like the ones your talkin about to see that they aren't profitable, unless you know how to play them. I thought I could play them but now I know that winning relatively big in the short term doesn't necessarily mean 'good' player.

Good players can play those hands well because they play them in the right positions and have reads on their opponents to know when they can get away with playing the borderlines

[/ QUOTE ]
nice post!
Old 07-20-2005, 08:38 PM

Its not that Im really cocky in the way I select my preflop hands. I play hands that SSHE recommends that I should play.

I almost regret limping K9s even though SSHE recommends that I should based on the table I was at. The KT hand of course I have to play because I was in the BB.

As I said before, I dont think my postflop play will improve in these marginal situations if I avoid them. Im not playing K9s because Im so cocky I feel I can outplay my opponents with a 72o, I play it because its a profitable hand to play and learning to play these marginal but profitable hands will make me a much better player.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:30 PM

I was saying that I was cocky, not you. You should mess around with those hands until you see where/when it is profitable to play them. It'll cost ya some money but you'll get the experience to know how to play them. Keep posting/grunching, we're all on the same team here bro.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:00 AM

Clarkmeister's 5 things LL players should "unlearn" seems to be exceptionally relevant to this discussion. Specifically #5