Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: When does reading at Barnes and Nobles become morally wrong?

What you did was morally wrong then. Compared to say... having someone hit a retarded kid with a basball, this is a pretty minor morals violation.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:37 PM

ok so if you believe that it is morally wrong, where is the inflection point of morality? how often do i need to purchase a book? what if i never purchased anything from starbucks there but bought every book i read after i was finished?
Old 07-15-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As soon as you know you intend to completely read a book but not buy it. Why not just go read books at the library?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Books at Barnes and Noble don't have AIDS all over them.
2. More selection, better quality.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok so if you believe that it is morally wrong, where is the inflection point of morality? how often do i need to purchase a book?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to ever buy a book. As long as there is a possibility of you doing so if you like the book you read, it's fine.

If you know that you're not going to buy a book, you shouldn't abuse the system.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as i said, i was reading the entire book at barnes and nobles through multiple sessions and would never buy the book after i was done. its not like i was going to read the book twice and at the time i was somewhat financially strapped. the cost of the frappucinos costed more than the book prices anyway.

i wasnt going to read at the library because their selection of books wasnt as broad and current. i wasnt reading storybooks but the latest informational books. also, the barnes and nobles setting was very comfortable, moreso than most barnes and nobles ive been to. they had very nice, relaxing music playing. the place was very quiet and peaceful and the seating area was very lofty and spacious. i could concentrate well there.

[/ QUOTE ]

They create the whole "3rd place" atmosphere. They don't put up a sign that says "this isn't a library". Soothe your soul (I presume that you are now flush, cash-wise), make the majority of your current purchases from them as a "thank you".
Old 07-15-2005, 06:49 PM

My girlfriend worked at barnes and noble in college. The corporate philosophy she was taught is that they want to be a neighborhood bookstore where people are comfortable to come and read as long as they like.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

better quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

???

Also, if you are in a major metropolitan area these days you'd be surprised what you can get at the library. Especially the ones that link all the libraries in the area and let you reserve/order books from any of them in the chain.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:56 PM

Jersey Nick, best location ever, avatar slightly creepy though.

I do this at B&N also, read about half of Positivley Fifth Street in the store. I think that because I try to buy books from them when I have the money its all good. Like other people have said, I would feel a lot worse if they discouraged you from doing so, but I have never seen anyone reprimanded from doing it so they must not mind too much. I think its benefited them to have such an atmosphere where there is no pressure to rush and buy.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When do I cross the line of being a valued member of Barnes and Nobles and being a nuisance?

[/ QUOTE ] I forgot to answer the question: You have crossed the line when you take the book into the bathroom with you while you drop a duece ala George Costanza.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:31 PM

i'm presently on book #3 for reading at b&n this summer, that doesn't count sections i've read of super system 2 while there.

the chairs r there to be used. my only problem would be the ppl that go to sleep. sure they have a book on their lap. but u can tell that they had little intention of getting in some good reading.