Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Are we done with the pennies yet?

A penny weighs 2.5 grams. 37 pennies weigh 92.5 grams or 3.26 ounces.

For first class letter mail, the USPS charges 37 cents for the first ounce and 23 cents for each subsequent ounce (or portion of an ounce) so you're looking at $1.06 in postage for your 37 pennies.

Thanks to The U.S. Mint and The USPS
Old 11-10-2005, 09:04 PM

I agree that pennies are worthless, and the government should consider doing away with them. However....

[ QUOTE ]
I hate when stores don’t want to play by the game. If a store doesn’t have a little tray, I am immediately annoyed. The hell if I’m fishing another dollar out of my pants because it came to $5.02. When that cash register rings up $5.02 and you look at me, we’re fixing to have a long staredown. I’ll return an item before I break another dollar and let you give me three more of the [censored] things in return. And that item probably had a profit margin of at least $.03 to you, so who’s the loser now? Get it? As long as they’re still around, you better play by the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a [censored]. The cashiers at most stores are held accountable for thier tills and if they let everyone short them $0.01-$0.03 they would come up with signigicant discrepancies. I've had a lot of experience with asswipes who act like children in stores because they think they can round prices down when the price is $XX.02 and get all pissed off about having to break a dollar.

There's a reason most stores don't have a penny tray, it's because it is poor cash management and loss prevention policy to have money sitting out in a cashwrap area.

[ QUOTE ]
As long as they’re still around, you better play by the game

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you want to exist in a society that uses pennies, you had better play by the game and instead of treating people like [censored] when you shop, take you douchebaggery elsewhere.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are a [censored]. The cashiers at most stores are held accountable for thier tills and if they let everyone short them $0.01-$0.03 they would come up with signigicant discrepancies. I've had a lot of experience with asswipes who act like children in stores because they think they can round prices down when the price is $XX.02 and get all pissed off about having to break a dollar.

There's a reason most stores don't have a penny tray, it's because it is poor cash management and loss prevention policy to have money sitting out in a cashwrap area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. You don't understand the game. The till is not off, and nobody gets shorted. When there is a tray full of pennies, the correct change is put into the cash register, and it balances at the end of the day.

And I never would expect for someone to pay for my extra $.02. I told you, I'd give an item back. If they play the game, it solves this problem. Everyone is a winner, but it is a ridiculous exercise that can be done without.

Get off your high horse. I'm sorry that you are angry about your cashier's job. I had that job myself once, and the penny tray made everything hunky dory, although pointless.

Good luck tomorrow at the till, and wash your hands often.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:14 PM

I'm not a cashier. I used to manage a department of cashiers, and I feel strongly about retail workers being treated with respect.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:29 PM

They are good as filler when you put all your change at the end of the day in a big plastic "Pepsi" change holder. You can buy these at any Meijer's. Then if you have the discipline to wait til it gets full you can take it to Coinstar. I can never wait though, but I got close once.

56 pounds of random change is about $533.33 in expected value. Just save them like the old men do.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a cashier. I used to manage a department of cashiers, and I feel strongly about retail workers being treated with respect.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. This is funny.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:28 PM

I really enjoyed this post. I do disagree on one count though. Flicking pennies at people is awesome. And way more effective than bottle caps. When I get 3 pennies, I think "one penny for each roommate." They can even leave welts!
Old 11-11-2005, 05:06 AM

I cashiered for like 2 years in high school (only 20 now) and if it was like 1 or 2 cents over the dollar I'd just mess my drawer up the hell if I cared. I could be a dollar off and it was no big deal. Or I would even use my pennies because they are worthless. Why did a selfish person like myself do this? Because I know how much it sucks to get 4.98 back, you are just angry. So to the guy that managed cashiers you made a lot of peoples days crappy, nice job jerk.

Second to the guy that throws them, I do this all the time with my change sometimeseven nickels because my bedroom is up on a loft and there is a balcony overlooking the living room its perfect.

Finally, when I am drunk I tend to ask random trivia questions and give people like 4 cents if they get it right.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So to the guy that managed cashiers you made a lot of peoples days crappy, nice job jerk.

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone's entire day was made crappy by receiving 8 coins then they have more serious problems that worrying about pennnies.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:13 AM

maybe not the whole day but you cannot tell me that if you only have like a 20 on you and its 5.01 and you get 14.99 back you arent like what the [censored] dude. If you arent at least a little annoyed I am jealous of you because I will never know that feeling.