Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Lucky Chances, Friday Jan 7

You might be safer with a short buy to start with... get to know the players before you play big stack poker with them.

There's a small chance I'll be at Lucky Chances tonight... I'd probably be in the 20-40 game because I suck at no limit. I'll look for Sucker if I do show up there.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:35 PM

Playing the 10-10-20 with scared $$$ is generally a pretty bad idea. If you're taking a shot at this level, then I think short buy-ins are best, particularly if the game is short and you don't know the players. As a newbie to the game, the only way I'd buy in deep is if the game were amazing (known to happen, but the last couple of times that I was there, both the main/must-move sucked pretty badly). Also, be prepared that this game plays way differently than the 5-5; one run-up from $1.3k to $7k is a lucky session, not a real predictor of how you'll fare in the long-term.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:04 PM

Get out there. I'm gonna make the trip, so you should too! We can go kum kum on the jackpot when you hit it, though I'll be kind enough for you to pay all the rake.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:08 PM

If you want to buy short and have no qualms about moving it in, then it's a strongly +EV move. Just realize that if you have 1000 bucks or something that you'll get some action, since this is an insignificant gamble to most of hte players. This is a strong spot for you, IMO, but you will lose it at times, since you'll be putting it in a lot. Remember, that even though the blinds are 10-10-20, it plays much bigger since it's 40 to go, and is often killed.

FWIW, I never buy in super deep into that game, since I don't know all of the players very well. I usually don't play up at LC's, but every once in awhile, I'll make the trip. I'll be there tonight, probably after 7:30.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:50 PM

It's $200 min and $500 max. I went to play it for the first time (I mostly play online or The Palace NL - got bored with the 1-1-2 at LC) last night, and they didn't have it! Those bastards. Supposedly, this was the first night that they didn't have it - what luck.

It depends on your BR, but my plan was to buy in for $300 and be ready to re-load w/ $200 if I got down to $200.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:25 AM

Just got back, ended up making about a 5K profit. Did anyone see me there, I spent most of the time at the main table. I think I may do trip report later, but I just want to sleep now.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:28 PM

Default LC tonight (Sat.)

Anyone else going to be there? I figure I'll give the 2/3NL another chance (they didn't have it Thurs [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img])