Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: work evaluation having to rate co-wokers ?

More than likely they are trying to determine who is stealing from them. The other questions are just there to disguise their true intent.

I don't see how they could use other's opinions on you to judge your work.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:39 PM

That sounds like something more appropriate for a college class..."rate the other students' projects"...than a job. what sort of place do you work in? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

"rate yourself" can, I guess, be a chance for self-reflection, but I'd be afraid that it simply becomes a tool for authority most often. Something like getting pulled into a police station without being charged and being told, "You know what you did wrong--so just tell us about it"... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 12:40 PM

Sounds like total unadulterated BS to me. This is the kind of ridiculous crap that keeps me in business. They don't understand that most of us don't like being turned into rats, which is all it this kind of thing does.

It is just another way to pit the lifers against the new guys and the young against the old and the black against the white. Everything they do is to keep you in your place.

In solidarity, Hamish
Old 10-25-2005, 01:37 PM

I hate this kind of management/HR tool. In the past I've refused to participate in these types of things. I don't particularly like rating people or ratting on people. I'd probably approach it the same way that you mentioned Gorie.

(I actually have to review my boss and managers at my current job. They claim it is confidential)
Old 10-25-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate this kind of management/HR tool. In the past I've refused to participate in these types of things. I don't particularly like rating people or ratting on people. I'd probably approach it the same way that you mentioned Gorie.

(I actually have to review my boss and managers at my current job. They claim it is confidential)

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't make us rate our fellow employees here, but once a year we have a 360 review of our managers. The last one was about 6 months ago. My manager did well, he only had a few negative comments but didn't take offence. He found it helpful.

However, there was another manager in the office who was ripped to shreds by her employees. They all hated her and didn't pull any punches in describing what she was doing wrong. Apparently this totally devastated her -- she's been on stress leave ever since.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:06 PM

I always kick ass on my self-evals.

...if you grade yourself poorly - they can use it against you when it comes around for raises. You get what you expect... if you're too hard on yourself, then they feel they can give you what you tell them you deserve.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:22 PM

The fact that the opinions of some of the lunatics I work with could end up in my personnel records is disturbing.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:31 PM

360 degree reviews?

WTF kind of new-aged E-speak BS is this?

Gorie, give them all 5s and yourself all 10s.

Fight the power.

Old 10-25-2005, 01:40 PM

It happens but not that often in workplace. Its a tough dillema but if its confidential rip those lazy NITS...
Old 10-25-2005, 01:44 PM

At most companies these reviews are a complete sham. For instance, I set my personal goals at the beginning of the year. When review time comes around I just change my goals to make sure that I accomplished them all. That way I still get my full bonus. Not exactly a very motivating system.

I spend 10 minutes with my manager going over it and then it is filed away never to be looked at again.

The way the whole thing is set up just negates the whole reason for having it. The main reason we have it is so the human resources people can prove that they are doing their job.

Do I sound jaded at all?