Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Why can\'t they give good chopsticks?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Come on. Shovel. Spoon. You're not plowing 50 acres with a couple of pool cues. "

[/ QUOTE ]

When I use a spoon, the purpose isn't to shovel food in my mouth. It might solve our obesity problem if everyone could only eat with chopsticks. Some people would just give up after getting the first few bites in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mandatory introduction of Korean style round metal chopsticks would fix the obesity epidemic stat. Even some Koreans I know have a hard time with them.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Come on. Shovel. Spoon. You're not plowing 50 acres with a couple of pool cues. "

[/ QUOTE ]

When I use a spoon, the purpose isn't to shovel food in my mouth. It might solve our obesity problem if everyone could only eat with chopsticks. Some people would just give up after getting the first few bites in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mandatory introduction of Korean style round metal chopsticks would fix the obesity epidemic stat. Even some Koreans I know have a hard time with them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-05-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why even when you are paying $15 or more a plate, sitting at their table can you not get a decent set of "real" chopsticks?

[/ QUOTE ]

$15 a plate for Chinese food? Sucker.

I remember having an expense account dinner at Mr. K's in New York. Much more than $15 per and very nice chopsticks as I remember. Too bad the food was lousy.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:42 PM

white people are too ignorant to realize that others are getting ivory chopsticks with mother of pearl inlays. Now that you realize this you're officially in the club and will probably get the oriental chopsticks next time you go to a chinese restaurant. just print out this thread and show it to them for proof of your higher level of understanding.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
white people are too ignorant to realize that others are getting ivory chopsticks with mother of pearl inlays. Now that you realize this you're officially in the club and will probably get the oriental chopsticks next time you go to a chinese restaurant. just print out this thread and show it to them for proof of your higher level of understanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, I am sure you are effing with me...... right?

I am also aware that many if not all chinese restaurants have at least 2 menus -- the white man menu, and the chinese menu. And its not just the writing that is different.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I'll tell you what I like about Chinese people. They're hanging in there with the chopsticks. You know they've seen the fork. They're staying with the sticks. I don't know how they missed it. Going out all day on the farm with a shovel. Come on. Shovel. Spoon. You're not plowing 50 acres with a couple of pool cues. "

[/ QUOTE ]

You know when you get something on your shirt and you get it off with your fingernail?

That's dry cleaning.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am also aware that many if not all chinese restaurants have at least 2 menus -- the white man menu, and the chinese menu. And its not just the writing that is different.

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm only in the club because my wife is chinese. if they found out I'm japanese, they'd run me out of town.
seriously, though, they seem to have different levels of service depending on who the customer is. My father in law has a background in fine dining (table captain at the Mandarin Hotel in HK, table captain at the Carnelian Room in SF back in the day, etc) and our family frequents a small handful of restaurants. it's not uncommon to see our party eating with nice chopsticks, cloth napkins, etc surrounded by tables filled with disposable chopsticks and paper napkins.

btw, sfer (I think) is correct that, if you're paying >~ 15/plate, you're getting ripped off. fwiw, the rule of thumb about ratio of black hair to lighter colored hair in any asian restaurant is a good one to go by, and the black heads wouldn't stand for 15/plate prices.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:23 PM

The inscrutable Chinese, in their invaribale Asian inscrutableness, understood early on that the Occidental, due to their very un-inscrutableness-ability, would immediately, upon experiencing the various Asian epicurian delicacies, begin to consume vast quantities of said/aforementioned delicacies.

Then, using the aforementioned inscrutables, they devised a variation on the old water torture ploy. They decided to provide only an inferior type of untensil for the Occidental to use whilst attempting to consume the delicacies.

They set out upon a search for a not-so-very-qualified chopstick manufacturer. Sadly, no such manufacturer existed in their country. Or, for that matter, any of the Asian countries. What to do?

During a strategy/marketing meeting, someone suggested outsourcing.

"Outsourcing? What tha fruck is outsourcing," queried the team manager.

"We go to another country, where the labor force is paid even less than ours, is less educated, has lousy factories, etc., etc., and subcontract," replied the team member. "We import the sticks back here, re-package them, put a little 'Made In China' sticker on them, triple the price, dump them in the U.S. of A., along with all the other crap we send 'em and pocket the extra profit."

There's more to the story, but that's the basic information.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2005, 07:48 PM

This is somewhat related, but there is a chinese resturant in Chinatown that I used to go to a few years ago. Me and my ex-gf would be the only two white people in the place. When we would come in and sit down, the hostess would come over with napkins and chopsticks, scowling, ask "You want forks?" and when we declined, she would smile and turn very nice.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

btw, sfer (I think) is correct that, if you're paying >~ 15/plate, you're getting ripped off. fwiw, the rule of thumb about ratio of black hair to lighter colored hair in any asian restaurant is a good one to go by, and the black heads wouldn't stand for 15/plate prices.

[/ QUOTE ]

The one only chinese restaurant ( and it isn't really chinese but I wanted to avoid "oriental", no I don't know why.... ) where I paid > $15 a plate, was a sushi place. I am sure there are very high-class(price) chinese restaurants but I have never eaten there.