Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: AKo button

[ QUOTE ]

A.) By calling you are giving SB adequate odds to call and spike a set with 88-QQ. The pot is big enough that you actually want him to fold these hands (however if he'd like to call 2 bets with them that's fine too).

[/ QUOTE ]

There is also a chance that he (since he is a LAG) calls me down very lightly. By raising, i take away his chance to mak mistakes on the big streets by letting him make the correct play on the flop. I'd say if I just cold call, barring the other action, he will call me down with A7, 88+, or any king.

[ QUOTE ]

B.) By the same token if SB has KQ or AK or perhaps a flush draw or will overplay a lesser hand you want to give him a chance to cap it up to force BB to drop 88-QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]
if they aren't folding these hands on the turn, why do i want them to fold them on the flop?

[ QUOTE ]

Your equity is likely to get worse on the turn, not improve.

[/ QUOTE ]
What hand ranges make you say this? The only player who might have a flush draw is SB, and with As and Ks out of commission, it is less likely than his pair hands.

Anyhow, I'm deciding whether it's worth it to give up a little bit on the flop to gain on the turn, especially considering I have no idea what the turn card is.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:10 PM

it seems like pretty much everyone likes 3betting here. im gonna have to think about why and analyze the play a bit more before i make up my mind.

Anyhow, the rest of the hand was pretty standard and boring.

Flop: I coldcall, SB calls.

Turn: blank, SB checks, BB checks, I bet, both call

River: blank, SB checks, BB checks, I bet, SB calls, BB folds. SB shows A7o. MHIG
Old 11-08-2005, 04:29 PM

I think the hand was well played
Old 11-08-2005, 04:34 PM

Actually I changed my mind. I think I overestimated the true odds they're getting with PP's. And your point about getting them to make a big mistake on the turn is a good one. So... well played.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Damn you are advancing. I remember you posting $3/$6 hands like yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding, why aren't I playing 75/150 now???
Old 11-08-2005, 06:39 PM

hi dane, dont mean to make you look bad but some of your logic is flawed here as some have pointed out.

B: you dont want the BB folding 88-QQ when he is facing 2 more bets, you want him to pay those 2 bets. because of this it is better to let the SB raise the 2bets and let you cap so that you force the BB into making the error rather than letting him make the correct play.

C: as pointed out your equity on the turn isnt likely to decrease it remains neutral on average. if you raise the turn when you spike your suit your equity gained is the same as always reraising this flop. if you want to take this arguement one step further you could say that if you raise now you are increasing your equity against another AK when he reraises the flop and you raise the turn. by raising the turn instead of the flop it is equivalent to x where x = the equity of your backdoor flush draw. if you raise, get 3bet and raise the turn x then becomes 3x. regardless, x is so small that its really not even worth discussing it if you ask me.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:34 PM

For B I meant we'd rather he fold for one bet, not two. In C it's definitely more complex then I made it out to be...didn't think it through too well.

Don't worry about making me look bad. Giant fistfuls of cash will dry my tears.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

come on, you know this isnt a good attitude [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

unless you were joking. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] then its a good attitude.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:29 AM

Intresting situation. A cold call is alright but Id expect BB to shut down on the turn unless he has AA-KK, AK, KQ (if hes a decent or observant tag player)...sb is likely to call u down regardless (EDITED: I thought SB was LAGish, I think I mixed sentences up in which case a cold call is probably a little better. If they are good players, or somewhat decent, this is just one of those situations where regardless of what u do they are going to shut down, unless they have a K or better...but u are more likely to get bets out of 1 or both of them by CCing then three betting)

I dont mind either way I think it is going to be played well whether u threebet the flop or CC it.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

come on, you know this isnt a good attitude [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

unless you were joking. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] then its a good attitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm joking pretty much anytime I say something serious.