FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Interesting question for football fans

1. michael vick
2. vick and ladanian
3. vick and dunn
Old 12-21-2004, 01:18 PM

So is this fantasy clone team playing against other clone teams, or against other NFL teams? Because even the 49'ers could beat any clone team suggested. The game is just too specialized. This point is pretty obvious, but I thought it should be made.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:35 PM

I imagined it as this: You get to clone the player and then raise them to play at the positions you need them for. So if we have 22 Culpeppers, then some will be on diets to get big to play o-line while others will work on quickness etc. to play skill positions.

I think the 2 team combo of vick and peppers (or fill in some other random huge freak of nature athlete) would be able to compete fairly well. Vick could easily play every skill position (and if raised to play it would probably be an All-pro at all of them) and a line backing corp of Peppers would be ruthless. The biggest problem would be interior linemen, but I don't know how big you could hypothetically get Peppers on the correct diet, etc.

All that being said, if you could pick 3 players, you would probably be unstoppable.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:50 PM

The most specialized positions are QB, O-line, WR, and not to be underestimated, Kicker. QB and Kicker both come from a kind of talent unlike any other position in football. O-line is just a completely different build then most other positions. The only person who could come up with a propper answer to this question is Bill Belichek, whou would break down each position as to it's worth to a team, and evaluate players based upon their abilities at each position.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:47 PM

When we debated it, we had the clone teams competing against other clone teams. This makes things a lot more fun, as when you try to explain to someone that a team of Julius Peppers would own a team of Michael Vicks. Badly. Try and play the game out in your head, with Vicks trying to block Peppers in the trenches.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3. I was going to choose Ed Reed and Rey Lewis but then I would have no offense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind how much relatively better your offense would be with Lewis/Reed than the defense of someone with Vick/Dunn. Almost all great defensive players played some offense at some point, and/or have elite ball skills like Reed. This is why for question #1, anyone who took Vick (for his athleticism) probably should have taken someone like Champ Bailey.

Summarized: A team of Champ Baileys would stomp a team of Michael Vicks.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:07 PM

You are completely wrong.

Bailey is in no way a better athlete than Vick and the quarterback position is much more difficult than any position on defense. That's why great athletes such as Bailey get moved to defense, overall athletic ability supercededs skill.

I imagine the two are very close as far as speed, agility, etc, but Vick can throw darts, Bailey can not.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When we debated it, we had the clone teams competing against other clone teams. This makes things a lot more fun, as when you try to explain to someone that a team of Julius Peppers would own a team of Michael Vicks. Badly. Try and play the game out in your head, with Vicks trying to block Peppers in the trenches.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are making the mistake in assuming that conventional NFL offenses would be run with a team of Vicks. There are several random offensive formations using only 3 linemen with the rest of the players split wide, etc. A team of Peppers would not be able to defense it.

However, Vick could not stop Peppers either- Goaline formation down the entire field would work.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:24 PM

1) If you could clone one NFL player to play every position on offense, defense and special teams, who would you pick?

Daunte Culpepper

2) If you could pick TWO different NFL players to clone and play them at all positions on offense, defense and special teams, who would you pick?

Michael Vick, Julius Peppers

3) Same question as number two, except these two players have to currently play for the same NFL team.

Donovan McNabb, Jevon Kearse
Old 12-21-2004, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are completely wrong...

I imagine the two are very close as far as speed, agility, etc, but Vick can throw darts, Bailey can not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you're saying. But I don't think the ability to "throw darts" would be as valuable as the tackling and defensive ability of Bailey. I don't see any way that The Vicks would be able to score more than The Champs, as The Bailey team could run options and sweeps up and down the field on a team of touch football Vicks.

Put another way, Champ Bailey on offense with Mike Vick on D is more of a mismatch than vice versa. Champ could cover the Vick WR's, would win the trench battle and could contain QB Vick's running.