Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Re: How widespread is cheating?

You're guessing/dreaming. There are lots of high function cheats playing a couple seats all the time. Not me mind you, but I have this friend, see...

Feel free to count on the crack staff of Party poker to protect your interests.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're guessing/dreaming. There are lots of high function cheats playing a couple seats all the time. Not me mind you, but I have this friend, see...

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the latest in your series of paranoid good laughs.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:11 PM

3 players. 200 sng's all in the same room. even if you dont put the squeeze on. you konw 6 cards each.

not high tech but an edge. a big edge
Old 09-25-2005, 10:31 PM

Of course there will be people who collude, but I imagine it really only occurs at the higher limits, and its only a very very small minority of people who partake in it. What I am more worried about is people finding out ways past the encryptions and either being able to see what cards are out/coming out or even able to control the fall of the cards.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:47 PM

Only complete idiots and world class players would collude at texas holdem, let alone a texas holdem SnG. Omaha Hi on the other hand...
Old 09-25-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know now how easy it is to do.

[/ QUOTE ]
Easy in theory, but very, very risky.

First thing the "it's easy to cheat" people don't realize is that some sites automatically check that a table doesn't have more than one player from the same IP address. They may not check every game, but when they do, bye-bye money.

And you've seen how many posts there are from people who THINK there was collusion even when there wasn't? Imagine those same people e-mailing Party or Stars when they get "sandwiched." Those sites employ people to specifically look for cheating, and software that looks for consistent patterns.

And since cheaters tend also to be dumbasses, most will likely be caught before they have a chance to figure out how to make it work.

Edit: Just thought of the possibility that OP was trying to parody newbie "my friend showed me how to cheat" posts. If so, add humor next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, absolutely serious here. You think like I use to think about it.

As far as playing from the same IP address, he doesn't. 10 different real people accounts, from ten different IP addresses from all over the country and some outside the country, played from many different computers.

I've watched him in action, trust me when I say it's not easy to catch these types.

As far as the win 6 sng's in a row promotion, he rotates his 10 aliases in and out of games so no two play more than a few of them together during the 6 game stretch.

I seriously think its a huge problem. I just have no real idea how pervasive it really is. The cheater says many people do it. I hope not. But I'd imagine so.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, absolutely serious here. You think like I use to think about it.

As far as playing from the same IP address, he doesn't. 10 different real people accounts, from ten different IP addresses from all over the country and some outside the country, played from many different computers.

[/ QUOTE ]
If that's what it takes for this "easy" cheating, then the answer is no, it's not widespread, because it's not "easy."

And he still can't seem to win 6 SNGs in a row, even with his incredibly effective, yet undetectable, cheating scheme? He should have been able to do that his first day.

If you're really concerned you would have reported this anyway - in fact, because you revealed that he plays the 6-SNG jackpot promotion, I'd be surprised if someone reading this thread doesn't rat him out.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2005, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And he still can't seem to win 6 SNGs in a row, even with his incredibly effective, yet undetectable, cheating scheme? He should have been able to do that his first day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, he did win one of them. He was also paid after only a 90 minute review. So there detection systems in place don't seem to be adequate.

As far as reporting him. It wouldn't matter. He'd be right back at it with another identity if he wished, he has up to 10 kosher ones. If one gets shut down, it doesn't really matter. I only know of certain ones at certain sites, not enough to stop him. Plus there are so many sites and skins now, he can move on like a locust.

From responces I see here, I don't think people really think its a problem, or don't understand how it can be an advantage. The different ISP's is not a deterrent as I said. That has been solved so easily theres no deterrent.

There seems to be an easy work around for all the present security checks already being used.

That's the problem.

After searching around a bit, the only solution I could find that made sense to stop cheating like this was made by Fossilman. I'll try to find his suggestion and repost it. But that would only work in ring games, not tourneys or SNG's.

[ QUOTE ]
Raymer, who before turning pro in 2004 was a patent attorney, suggested sites anticipate future schemes by monitoring players' variance—a statistical measure of how far a player is from his or her expected win within a given hour. A high variance means taking on a lot of risk in exchange for winning more pots, which is what the pros do. But players who incur little risk while winning lots of hands are probably cheating, he said.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-26-2005, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, he did win one of them. He was also paid after only a 90 minute review. So there detection systems in place don't seem to be adequate.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't be surprised if the review is ongoing, if you know what I mean...

[ QUOTE ]
As far as reporting him. It wouldn't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm calling bull on all this right now. It's starting to sound fishy.

Of course, I'm all ears if you could be forthcoming with the rest of the details... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2005, 01:33 AM

You should turn this player in to partypoker/pokerstars or whatever site it is. Anyone who demonstrates to me that they cheat in any way whatsoever, will be immediatley reported regardless of their relationship to me.

You can do something to help by at least making the world more difficult for one player who cheats. If you sit around and do nothing, and others like you do the same, then there is a lot less chance that such things will be detected.