Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: QTo, middle pair on the button, look good?

(grunch)

Flop: bet looks good--are you folding to a c/r? It looks like you're not expecting that here.
Turn: Bet it--I think you clearly have the best hand here.
River: I might check this down if there are still players in the pot. It is a small pot, and I think you'll see someone with K-rag here often. In your case, the bet seems good after the check-around on the turn. SB would be betting out on the river in most cases if he wanted to make a BB of his hand.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i prefer folding preflop, in all honesty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had 3 people coming in already, I'm last to act, and counted on the SB completing. I'd rather it be suited on a tight table but...

[/ QUOTE ]

with the exception of "I'm last to act," those are all reasons for me to fold especially since you describe them as tight AND passive. it makes me feel that QTo is highly marginal.

once the hand is going i'd likely bet the turn.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had 3 people coming in already, I'm last to act, and counted on the SB completing. I'd rather it be suited on a tight table but...

[/ QUOTE ]

with the exception of "I'm last to act," those are all reasons for me to fold especially since you describe them as tight AND passive. it makes me feel that QTo is highly marginal.

once the hand is going i'd likely bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious why you would do this? There were 3 limpers already, and we have position. I think this is a good multiway hand, if you have the discipline to get rid of it in the face of any action. You are playing this for the nut straight and maybe hitting trips or 2 pair.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tight AND passive

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, this makes sense--tight/passive is basically a calling station, but can't tight/passive also be a rock?
Old 10-04-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are playing this [QTo] for the nut straight and maybe hitting trips or 2 pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure about this logic -- would you play 53o in this position?

I also play QTo like the OP did, but I'm not too afraid of having a single pair. I think QT will make top pair often enough to win too.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are playing this [QTo] for the nut straight and maybe hitting trips or 2 pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure about this logic -- would you play 53o in this position?

I also play QTo like the OP did, but I'm not too afraid of having a single pair. I think QT will make top pair often enough to win too.

[/ QUOTE ]

QTo can make more nut straights, and they are also well hidden. I think it has great implied value in a multiway pot. However, I did not point out the moderate big card value. I stress my point about in the face of action. I am betting the flop, turn & probably the river, but folding to a c/r.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious why you would do this? There were 3 limpers already, and we have position. I think this is a good multiway hand, if you have the discipline to get rid of it in the face of any action. You are playing this for the nut straight and maybe hitting trips or 2 pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok. i will elaborate. QTo is not a powerhouse hand. but it's not 72o either. what are the strengths of QTo? well, we've got some good high card strength, and we're somewhat connected. what are the weaknesses? well, we don't really have strong high card strength and we don't really have strong multiway power. we also have a fair amount of dominatedness.

here's the situation: we are at a table that is described as tight and passive (with the exception of SB). now does this mean the individual players ahead of us are tight and passive? probably. but one man's tight is another man's loose, so it's hard to say. three of them limp, and we're the button.

sometimes i'll limp here, sometimes not. it depends on the limpers.

but one thing is clear, QTo does not thrive against multiple tight opponents. it does help that they are passive, and that we have ultimate position for the whole hand.

playing QTo here when we'll be facing 5 villians requires considerable post-flop comfort. so i don't think the limp, while perhaps technically profitable, is automatic and routinely easy.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Re: middle pair on the button, look good?

Isn't this one of those cases where if you bet the river - the only call you get is from someone who has you beat? There aren't many hands he can beat that are strong enough to call with. There's no value if nobody will call your value bet unless they beat you.

An opponent holding a flush is not likely to check it on both the Turn and the River, but a King or a Two Pair may very well go into check-call mode when six players see a Flush Draw complete on the Turn.

I bet the Turn (folding to a c/r) and check-down the river after they have checked it to me.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tight AND passive

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, this makes sense--tight/passive is basically a calling station, but can't tight/passive also be a rock?

[/ QUOTE ]

tight means someone plays few hands (usually applied to preflop). tight also usually implies that while this player is playing few hands, they are employing somewhat correct hand selection criteria.

passive, when applied to preflop play means someone tends to limp in when they are playing.

passive, when applied to postflop play means someone is more likely to call rather than raise and check rather than bet.

in general, a calling station is typified by someone who plays too many hands (loose) and plays them passively.

in general, a rock is typified by someone who played far too few hands (tight). "rock" as opposed to "tight" implies the player is NOT employing optimal hand selection criteria, as they are not playing enough hands. often, a rock will raise only with premium hands, but does have the ability to play them aggressively.

but its possible that a calling station could be "tight" and still just like to play their hands passively passively.
it is also possible that a "rock" could be too tight and also play those few hands in a passive fashion.