Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Chip Races

[ QUOTE ]
One thing you have to be aware of is that a chip race can knock someone OUT of a tourney, unless you add a rule. Then you're racing chips and coloring up one person, which doesn't seem fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

The HPT above covers this rule. Basically, no one can leave the chip race without at least 1 chip of the lowest value in play (typically an ante or SB).
Old 09-28-2005, 01:35 PM

I have used a chip race since day one at my home game. It does not take long at all. Usually after coloring everyone up, racing off the odd chips takes about one full minute (for two tables). This is the most fair method there is, and I couldn't imagine rounding up or down. There is a reason they race off chips at the WSOP.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have used a chip race since day one at my home game. It does not take long at all. Usually after coloring everyone up, racing off the odd chips takes about one full minute (for two tables). This is the most fair method there is, and I couldn't imagine rounding up or down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I started with chip racing, but as I grew to 4 table tourneys, I moved to rounding.

[ QUOTE ]
There is a reason they race off chips at the WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]
You mean, besides protecting against people bringing chips in?
Old 09-28-2005, 04:56 PM

I usually have 2 tables. If I had 4, it would take two minutes instead of one minute. All players know to put all their odd chips in front of them for the chip race. Sometimes the players even do the race-off themselves (they are becoming educated).

With the chip race, there are always the same number of chips in play. If we start with 100,000 in chips, we end with 100,000 in chips. This is actually quite useful.

Nonetheless, it's your game, run it however you see fit. Just giving my opinion.

P.S. If it was possible to bring your own chips to the WSOP, I don't see how doing a chip race would prevent it.