Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Worst play you\'ve ever lost to in a home game...

This play didn't happen to me but happened at a tournament I had organized. 12 people left out of 18 starting. One friend across the table raises with AA, 3 callers. Flop comes AJ2. Player to my left bets, one caller, then original raiser goes all in. Player to my left calls him with 36o. Turn 5, river 4.

A few hands later he knocks me out with a river flush and later goes on to win the tournament. Some days you can do nothing wrong apparently...
Old 10-10-2005, 09:07 AM

I wasn't involved in this hand, but it was with the same group of players that I normally play with. I couldn't give you stack numbers or blinds or anything of that nature, but it's a four-handed raised pot PF, and the flop comes down KQJ. The initial PFR jams it with 77... cause he's an idiot, but I digress. Second to act rejams with KQ, third to act is looking all incredulous cause he flopped a set of jacks... he calls, and the fourth to act guy is like.. I guess I'll have to avoid the redraws and calls with A10.

Running sevens!
Old 10-10-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This happened to me tonight.... I usually am not a tilty player, I can take a beat but this one had my blood boiling.

Blinds are 200/400, 5 left in a 10 man tourney. I'm about 3rd in chips with ~3700
me (button): 33
1 call
I limp
SB completes, BB checks (pot is 800)
flop: 366
3 checks, I bet 500
2 folds and the guy in middle position comes over the top. I call so quickly I almost broke my hand trying to get my chips into the middle.

He shows J6

Turn is K
River is K giving him 6's full of kings to beat my 3's full of k's.

This about crippled me and I was the next to bust out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not nearly so bad a beat as you may think. After the flop you are only a 4:1 favorite. This hand is deceptive - you think you are a lock, but this is not so.

On the other hand the original poster AA vs. A2 was a ~15:1 favorite and the QQ vs. JJ guy was a 650:1 favorite.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:34 PM

sweet!! another bad beat story.....
Old 10-10-2005, 01:41 PM

Oh, man, I've got a doozy. Also dealt AA in MP (five-handed NLH tourney), I raise 3X BB, cut-off (who is very loose and known as an absolute fish) calls, and button (LAG) does, too. Blinds fold. I'm fairly short-stacked, so when the flop comes low cards and two hearts, I go all-in to protect my hand, hoping no one hit a set.

Cut-off also goes all-in, and the button does, too. We all flip, and my aces are ahead against the cut-off's pocket eights and the button's lousy 8h5h draw. Better still, the button has one of the cut-off's eights!

Blank on the turn, but take a guess at what hits the river... Yep, the case eight to knock me out. This was about four or five months ago, and I still remember this hand. I usually don't get rattled, but this one had me steamed.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:43 PM

Don't get pissed. You WANT him thinking he outplayed you, because now he'll make that same mistake, not figuring out that he'll hit it only a few % of the time.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:59 PM

Here's the worst play I ever made and won.

6-handed. I have A7o in middle position so I raise 5xBB. One caller by a semi-loose, solid player.

Flop comes 544. He's short-stacked so I bet about 2/3 of his stack. He raises all in. I call (in all it was about half my stack.)

I turn over A7, no longer believing I had the best hand. He showed 54 for the flopped full house.

Turn: 7

River: 7

I win with a bigger full house.

Ac 7d-----6------0.61%
4c 5d----984-----99.39%
Old 10-10-2005, 04:08 PM

This one is not by any means the worst one I've ever seen, but since it happened to me, and it happened at our most recent monthly game, it jumps to the top of my most memorable list.

Its late at night at our monthly game (very low stakes, mostly for fun), and there's only 4 of us left to strike up a game, so we decide to play one more, winner take all. We play tournament style, $5 buy-in, blinds start at 25/50 and double every 15 minutes. I should easily steamroll the thing, as the other 3 guys are average players at best, and are barely paying attention, so I've practically got the $20 in my pocket. A little ways in, the blinds are 50/100, and I get dealt KK in the BB. The small blind limps and I raise it $300. The small blind calls me. This guy is known for being downright scary, because he knows what he's doing, but still makes some of the dumbest moves you could ever see, and cashes on 'em. He'll win one tourney and be out first the next. You just never know what 2 cards he's holding and what the hell he's trying to do.

So anyway, he calls my raise with a "ohhh...I've GOTTA call", and the flop brings blank-A-J. We check the flop, and the turn is a Q. He bets $400 and I already know I'm beat, but at this point its no longer about the $20, its about seeing what kind of garbage he called my 3xBB raise with. Since $400 is about half my remaining stack, I just put the rest all-in in the interest of seeing this BS and going home, and he calls.

He had held on to A 4 off, and hit his A on the flop. I try not to get mad over this low stakes game where the camraderie is more important than the poker, but that kinda BS just plain pisses me off.

Another legendary story from our poker nights is when my little brother was at his 2nd one, and tried to fold his hand in the big blind. Someone at the table told him he could hold on to it and check, so he did. By the end of the hand he had taken a guy out when his 9 2 flopped a boat.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:42 PM

Maybe I'm just not seeing it but what's wrong with calling a 3x BB raise with A-4 in a 4-handed game when it's small blind/big blind. Would you fold this playing heads-up? What were the relative stacks/blinds at when this happened?
Old 10-11-2005, 01:15 AM

One time I was playing 6-handed and this guy in MP 5x's it. I call with my 54 in position against him because I'm a semi-loose, solid player. The flop comes 544 so I decide to slow play it... this guy bets fully TWO THIRDS of my stack so what the hell, I sure can't call... I push allin. He calls me and manages to hit his A7o with runner runner SEVENS.

dammit.

just kidding [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img], here's my real badbeat story:

A5o limp-reraises my 4x UTG with at least 25x behind, I weigh the odds and push my last 12x with JJ, he's the only caller... flop 234 rainbow, my jacket was on and I was swilling the last of my drink before the river hit.

"good game, all... cya next week"