Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2003, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Iraq\'s Coming Collapse: House Of Cards

'But it would not be force directed against their children instead of against them.'

not true abrams on the abrams report msnbc has advocated the use of torture against terrorist supsect's children.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Iraq\'s Coming Collapse: House Of Cards

So some one may advocate it, but unless it is actually implemented, my statement is true.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Accounting

"My wife got a job with the DOD. She recently told me what happens when she puts money into her retirement account. The government puts an IOU into her account and then applies her deposit to the national debt. I can only assume that this is done to make the debt appear smaller than it is. More lies, er, I mean creative accounting."

Actually, it is the only correct accounting procedure. When your wife deposits money to the DOD, she is literally loaning money to the government. The money in her account is money owed to her by the government. When she withdraws her money, the loan is being repayed. Counting that deposit among the nat'l debt is correct.

It's the same with bank accounts. The money deposited in them by the public is money owed to the public by the bank. The money that the bank has lent out, i.e. the bank's loans, are the bank's assets. When we talk about how big a bank is, we don't refer to its debts (deposits), we refer to its assets (loans).
Old 03-30-2003, 02:01 PM

Default This is what Rumsfeld thought as well.

Its one thing for M on an internet message board to think this. Its another for Rumsfeld to count on it.
Old 03-30-2003, 03:01 PM

Default Re: This is what Rumsfeld thought as well.

Clarkmeister you'll notice that I left open the possibility that all might not work as planned and that this forecast might be way too optimistic;-)

Also, Rumsfeld doubtless had contingency plans which are now being implemented;-)

Old 03-30-2003, 11:19 PM

Default Re: This is what Rumsfeld thought as well.

I wasn't attacking you for your prediction. I'd guess that 90% of Americans felt the same way prior to the onset of hostilities. Heck, 90% felt that way 3 days into hostilities.

"Also, Rumsfeld doubtless had contingency plans which are now being implemented;-) "

Of course he had contingency plans. If he didn't, we'd just pack up and go home. That doesn't mean they adequately anticipated the likelihood of actually having to implement those plans.