Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: More Replayers Plzzzz

[ QUOTE ]

Reads are nothing more than experience! Thus the "top" players do use reads!!

Read: "hey I have seen this before, I'll bet he fold if I push over the top."

[/ QUOTE ]

I think when u say "read" you mean something else.

When i say read, I was talking about the way your opponents play, not the situations. Ex:Is the BB loose or tight, what would be his calling range? The reads that CANNOT be made multi tabling. Pros are beating games without these reads.

As for the reads/situations you talk about, I find them hard to see, whether I play one or 8 tables. I think an author explains that you can only learn this through theory rather than experience. Becuase you cant judge the play by the outcome in poker.

I def. agree with you that I'm not "seeing"/learning as much by multi-tabling. I think I will bump down to 4 table for awhile as Cit suggested it would atleast slow down my losses.

thxs for the reply, Brian
Old 09-13-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When i say read, I was talking about the way your opponents play, not the situations. Ex:Is the BB loose or tight, what would be his calling range? The reads that CANNOT be made multi tabling. Pros are beating games without these reads.

As for the reads/situations you talk about, I find them hard to see, whether I play one or 8 tables. I think an author explains that you can only learn this through theory rather than experience. Becuase you cant judge the play by the outcome in poker.

I def. agree with you that I'm not "seeing"/learning as much by multi-tabling. I think I will bump down to 4 table for awhile as Cit suggested it would atleast slow down my losses.

thxs for the reply, Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

You are very wrong and quite misguided. Please heed the advice of others in this thread
Old 09-13-2005, 08:20 PM

Yes I know =), im dying at the 10s.

But which part? did I misinterpret the post? Or the thing about learning through theory only? or all of it?

I am definitly taking everyones advice that has been posted here and will be slowing down. Thxs everyone, Brian
Old 09-13-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The people you speak of are using are the default player read. What would the average player at this level do? If you intend to play without paying attention to the particulars of your opponents, then you absolutely must learn that read. And you aren't going to learn it if you aren't watching.

As long as you're losing, you're paying money to learn. And the more tables you play as you learn, the more you're paying.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes I know =), im dying at the 10s.

But which part? did I misinterpret the post? Or the thing about learning through theory only? or all of it?

I am definitly taking everyones advice that has been posted here and will be slowing down. Thxs everyone, Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

Play no more than 2 tables at a time until you are making money. I recommend only 1.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

Quote:

The people you speak of are using are the default player read. What would the average player at this level do? If you intend to play without paying attention to the particulars of your opponents, then you absolutely must learn that read. And you aren't going to learn it if you aren't watching.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I mean. Experience will tell you what the average player does at the $11 tables and that is a read. Furthermore, even if you are multi-tabling you can still pay attention to particular players "Ex: is the BB loose or tight?" I think Gigabet posted a great thread on this. He (giga) and many others here are able to play 8 tables and make very specific reads about players very quickly. If I had the time I would link you to that thread. Anyway, learning to make reads based on your experience with "the average player" or based on what players do in just the 30 min of levels 1-4 takes time (time means experience). However, that old phrase "practice make perfect" is crap. If you practice tons (tons means 8 tabling or likely even 4) but never in a manner that allows you to really see what is happening you will never make reads well.

Again, just my thoughts

Ryan
Old 09-13-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I mean. Experience will tell you what the average player does at the $11 tables and that is a read. Furthermore, even if you are multi-tabling you can still pay attention to particular players "Ex: is the BB loose or tight?" I think Gigabet posted a great thread on this. He (giga) and many others here are able to play 8 tables and make very specific reads about players very quickly. If I had the time I would link you to that thread. Anyway, learning to make reads based on your experience with "the average player" or based on what players do in just the 30 min of levels 1-4 takes time (time means experience). However, that old phrase "practice make perfect" is crap. If you practice tons (tons means 8 tabling or likely even 4) but never in a manner that allows you to really see what is happening you will never make reads well.

Again, just my thoughts

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post Ryan.

The only way youre going to figure this stuff out is to pay attention to your opponents.

One table and watch everything that everyone does. Repeat many times. Things other players are doing will begin to make sense with less effort on your part after a while. Add a table or two when you know start to know what people are going to turn over before you see their cards.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, that old phrase "practice make perfect" is crap. If you practice tons (tons means 8 tabling or likely even 4) but never in a manner that allows you to really see what is happening you will never make reads well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you just nail my problem. About 300 games at 10+1 and about break even. I've been playing 8 tables thinking I would encounter more situations and gain experience faster. In reality, I probably learned nothing except how to click faster. Very depressing, but I stay determined.

As for getting reads fast (ur example of gigabet), it is unthinkable for me at the moment. I 8 table on a 1024x768 resolution screen with a virtual destop manager. It is hell. Knowing it is possible to read (fast) is inspiring, and I WILL learn how to eventually.

Thxs for the great post Ryan. Brian
Old 09-14-2005, 12:59 AM

Replaying your own games is also allowed.

If you are break even, the good news is that you are making mistakes. You can therefore try to find them to improve your game by replaying your own tournaments.

You may not actually be able to find your own errors, it's not that easy to do, but the process of trying will help your thought processes.

Lori