Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2004, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Look what I made

Call me old fashioned but whatever happened to the concept of just sitting down at a table and beating the opposition with superior poker skills. It's kind of like using an underwater camera when fishing. Sure you caught some fish but how good of a fisherman are you really?

Please don't get upset when you read this. I actually think what you did is nice (I'm a software developer) but it just seems like so many people on this site use technology to maximize their earnings but then have a conniption when someone mentions bots. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2004, 02:27 PM

If you're going to go fishing, do you go to a known spot where you usually catch fish, or do you just go to any hole in the ground that contains water?
Old 10-19-2004, 03:05 PM

Look, I get your point but there are some things people will never agree on (like politics or religion). How would you feel about going to a home game and discovering that one of the players brought a hand held computer with some kind of poker odds calculator on it? I wouldn't like it at all. I don't see how this is different from having an electronic crutch when playing online.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call me old fashioned but whatever happened to the concept of just sitting down at a table and beating the opposition with superior poker skills. It's kind of like using an underwater camera when fishing. Sure you caught some fish but how good of a fisherman are you really?

Please don't get upset when you read this. I actually think what you did is nice (I'm a software developer) but it just seems like so many people on this site use technology to maximize their earnings but then have a conniption when someone mentions bots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm not an old fasioned guy like you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I don't want to cheat, but I don't have any problems getting an advantage within the rules of the poker site.

Back when I made the note exporter, I asked "Is this cheating?", no one thought it was. The PT gametime window has been around for a long time, this is just a smaller version of it.

I do understand your concern. This thing took me 5 hours, what if I put some serious time into it? Where do I draw the line? Is anything short of actually pressing the buttons OK?
Old 10-19-2004, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you give a rundown of the changes that I need to make in order to configure the script to work?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Setup a virtual directory in IIS that allows script execution.
2. Setup the ODBC datasource in the CF administrator.
3. In the .cfm file , change the "datasource=PTRACK3" to whatever yours is named ("PTRACK" probably).
4. In the .cfm file , change "player_id EQ 1912" to whatever your player ID is in pokertracker.

Those are the biggest steps. Hope that helps, email me if you have any questions.

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any way you could have it display the icons that pokertracker labels people with when it autorates them?

[/ QUOTE ]

With editing, it can display any PT data you want it to. I think PT Pat released a zip file with all the icons in it.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:28 PM

That's a very good question. Where do you draw the line? What if you expanded the system to read your hole cards and the cards on the board and calcualte your pot equity in real-time? What if you then made a recommendation as to whether to fold/call/raise? What if you looked at player tendencies and popped up a warning when the system suspected a check-raise or a bluff? How is this different than a bot other than the user is pushing the buttons? I'm sure you could make a lot more money playing this way but it just doesn't sound enjoyable to me.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:15 PM

You're old fashioned.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:55 PM

I get your point, but I feel there's a line that shouldn't be crossed. I wouldn't know where to begin articulating that, though.

To repeat the fishing analogy, does it make me a worse person if I buy a boat to reach a remote fishing hole? How about if I splurge $500 (sorry, I'm not a fisherman, so the price may be out of whack) for an excellent setup to help me catch more, larger fish? Would you be sitting on the bank shaking your fist at me as I drove by?
Old 10-20-2004, 05:09 PM

I think we all agree I'm old fashioned and we'll just leave it at that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2004, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if you expanded the system to read your hole cards and the cards on the board and calcualte your pot equity in real-time? What if you then made a recommendation as to whether to fold/call/raise? What if you looked at player tendencies and popped up a warning when the system suspected a check-raise or a bluff?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the type of stuff that interests me as a programmer.

Just to recommend an "intelligent" preflop call/raise/fold (based on players to your right and left), as you suggest (and I have thought about this before) would require some serious math-based understanding of the game and the skill to put that into code that I don't have.