Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Nut full house - check/fold?

[ QUOTE ]
Turn 5

SB checks, I bet, UTG raises, Button folds, SB folds, easy fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Burdz - It's about 11 to 4 that none of your three opponents was dealt a hand with a five.
probability = 1-C(44,12)/C(45,12) = ~0.733

Since it's unlikely none of your opponents holds a five after the flop, your 2nd round lead was fine, but then when everyone calls your 2nd round bet, I don't think you should lead again on the 3rd betting round.

When everybody calls your flop bet, you have to wonder what they're all thinking. Those of them without the case five may not realize how strong the possibility is that someone else does hold the case five. They very well may have pairs and/or low draws. Maybe they shouldn't play those hands after a flop with trip fives, but the reality of the game is obviously that they do.

A lot of people would routinely slow play flopped quads after the flop. Thus when you bet the flop, it may look (to anyone not holding the case five) more as though you don't have the five than you do.

But whatever they are thinking, you should be keenly aware that one of them may well be slow playing quad fives. The odds, after all, are only 11 to 4 against one of them having been dealt the case five.

At any rate, when UTG raises your 3rd round bet, it could be because UTG doesn't think you (or anyone else) holds the case five. You are forced to call the raise because if that's what UTG thinks, UTG doesn't need the case five to raise. If you don't call, you're possibly letting UTG out-play you.

In short, UTG could be raising for value with a lesser pair or semi-bluffing with a low draw.

Might not be the play you'd make with a lesser pair or a low draw, but I've seen people do it when there are trips on the board after the turn. And you have to defend against those possibilities.

There are some situations which seem to call for a defense rather than an offense, and I think that's the case here. You don't bet the turn yourself, but you call a bet from an opponent. It's kind of like blocking a punch in boxing rather than throwing one yourself. I'm not advising you to become a "calling station" - but sometimes checking and calling is wiser that betting yourself.

At any rate, I think you should definitely call the raise. Your original bet on the 3rd betting round was a small mistake. Not calling the raise would be a big mistake.

That's just my opinion.

Buzz
Old 09-20-2005, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Five deuces is clearly the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:07 AM

I'm assuming you mean quad 2s, what with a 5 in my hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I did call, and the river was pretty bad as well, a 6, so no emergency low.

I check, he bets, obvious call?
Old 09-20-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I check, he bets, obvious call?

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot (+raise) is at 11 big bets, and he's very likely to have a low hand, so you'd need to win high 1 in 6 times to make it worth your while, and the 4th deuce is going to show up less than half the time. Yeah, definite call.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming you mean quad 2s, what with a 5 in my hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Burdz - Yes, I meant the case deuce which would make someone quad deuces.

Buzz
Old 09-20-2005, 08:33 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2005, 08:46 PM

I agree with Buzz that you definitely should call on the river. It helps if you know your opponents too to get an idea as to how they would play this hand.
This happened to me the other day, trip 8's on the river and I had pocket Kings. Everyone folded except myself and one other player who is rather aggressive and a strong player. I've seen him bluff before. He had been leading all along and led again on the river (he was two seats to my right). I took a minute - but I decided to call considering all of the factors and he threw in his hand, he was only bluffing.
So, when you have the nut boat I think it's worth the call, just in case. UTG might have the case 2, or another pair since you said he is tight - but still. It can get tricky, and you don't want to let an opponent learn they can scare you off so easily.